Recent content by Ron McF

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. R

    The Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe

    Thanks for the photos, Iron Horseman. I also model that part of the GC&SF, so I'm always on the look-out for photos of David's old layout. In the Crusher photo there's a cut-out paper 'flagman'. I assume it was used as part of the operating system - can you tell us how that worked? Two of my...
  2. R

    How to wire an Atlas code 55 turnout for DCC

    Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I wanted to correct this statement in Jeff's otherwise very excellent post. There are actually SIX built-in jumpers on Atlas C55 turnouts. In addition to the 4 shown by Jeff, there are two additional jumpers between the stock rails and the rails...
  3. R

    Comprehensive questions about Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco SL turnouts

    Here's what one modeller does to use Peco C55 turnouts with Tortoise motors: http://kdrail.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Turnouts Regards, Ron
  4. R

    Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

    I like to use Atlas Accumates to couple locos together, as the locos don't seem to hunt or separate as much as they do with MTL couplers. Accumates are easy to uncouple with skewers, and I like the fact that they don't exhibit the slinky effect. Since I don't use magnetic uncouplers, I remove...
  5. R

    Who makes good passenger cars?

    Have you seen Jerry LaBoda's revamped website? http://n-scalevarnish.info/index/varnish/UsersGuide/ Regards, Ron McF
  6. R

    Peco's website is finally getting attention and updating!

    I agree. But if you're going to use Peco C55 I think it would be good idea to do this. I have several dozen of those points installed, and in my experience it takes only minute bits of material between the point blades and the stock rail to break continuity. If Peco is really keen to increase...
  7. R

    Peco's website is finally getting attention and updating!

    This site might be useful too: http://teladesign.com/british-n-scale/peco-turnouts.html I'd take the nominal radii shown against the C55 points with a grain of salt. As Ben Arnold mentions, all the points have the same frog angle of 10 degrees, and on the small and medium points, the ends of...
  8. R

    DC Layout Walk Around Throttles

    You didn't say whether you're after simple tethered throttles, or ones with memory (so they can be unplugged, and plugged in elsewhere while the train is running). Ken Stapleton has both types: http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/Index.html I have one of the memory throttles and it works well...
  9. R

    Turnout wiring

    I have about 50 Atlas C55 turnouts on my layout. As you may be aware, they have jumpers built in to connect each stock rail to the corresponding closure rail and rail that exits the frog. When I first started using them I just installed them just as they came straight from the box. However, I...
  10. R

    Peco code 55 electrofrogs: power routing only the turnout?

    I agree - they are a very expensive solution. I use ordinary DPDT slide switches that cost about $2 each, and operate them with push-rods. Here's how I install them: http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/p/turnout-pushrods.html However, as you're not planning to use push-rods then slide switches...
  11. R

    Peco code 55 electrofrogs: power routing only the turnout?

    Yeah - I probably should have said that I wouldn't bother removing the spring, as I do NOT use tortoises. My Peco C55 turnouts are thrown manually. In any case, my comments apply regardless of how you throw the switch. With an unmodified Peco C55 turnout, if debris (grit, dust, whatever) gets...
  12. R

    Peco code 55 electrofrogs: power routing only the turnout?

    I have nearly 30 Peco C55 'electrofrog' turnouts installed, and my biggest regret with them is that I didn't modify them before installing them. The biggest problem I have with them is that they rely entirely on good contact between the point and stock rails. It requires only small specks of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top