Recent content by Kisatchie

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Wiring a Kato Turntable (N Scale) for DCC

    I decided to go with a Digitrax AR1 auto reverser to avoid having to power the stall tracks, just as you pointed out.
  2. K

    Wiring a Kato Turntable (N Scale) for DCC

    Kato's instructions with their turntable are very vague as to how to operate it using DCC. I did some Googling and found the following link that explains how to do it: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/katoturntabledcccontrol.html You can use a DCC auto reverse module for greater...
  3. K

    Best Southern Green

    Yes, I'd recommend Scalecoat II (plastic models) or Scalecoat (brass models) too!
  4. K

    Starting to buy rolling stock. Need advice

    Don't forget Tichy (Dimi Trains) drop bottom gondolas and sugar beet gondolas. They are very simple kits to assemble, and they have a lot of detail (wood grain). Tichy also makes a complete work train (3 cars and crane) that is pretty easy to assemble, except for the crane LOL.
  5. K

    Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

    I have to disagree, as far as Accumate couplers go. The trip pins are going to fall out (permanently) if you try to adjust them by bending them up. If you try to push them further into the coupler (like Micro-Trains), then the pin will rub on the upper coupler shank and the coupler won't...
  6. K

    Role of the caboose on modern railroads?

    Norfolk Southern still uses a few cabooses. Don't know why, however. Here is a photo of one from October of 2012: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ns/ns555015ggb.jpg The next one is from July of 2012: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ns/ns555066agj.jpg
  7. K

    Carstens Publishing and RMC

    Starting a few months ago, my RMC subscription started coming VERY late. If I'm lucky, I'll get my January issue by the end of the month, but probably not until the first week in February. Guess who's not renewing his subscription.:mad:
  8. K

    Another WTH Ebay Moment

    I was buying Athearn blue box freight car kits back in the late 60s. Is that vintage enough? :):eek:
  9. K

    Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

    After watching trains run with both Accumates and Micro-Trains couplers, I decided to go with Micro-Trains. The Accumates may not have the slinky effect, but the distance between cars is unacceptable. Atlas cut down the distance slightly when they modified the Accumates coupler box, but the...
  10. K

    which camp are you in ??

    I subscribe to Railroad Model Craftsman. Has anyone gotten the October issue yet? I'm wondering if it's time to let them know my issue is late (or not).
  11. K

    Tru Color Paint

    You must have never used original Floquil Dio-Sol from a few decades ago.:) I forgot to put on Floquil "Barrier" protective coating before airbrushing a loco I was doing. Darn stuff ate the plastic right up.:mad:
  12. K

    air compressor for airbrush

    Might I suggest you consider getting a 20 pound CO2 tank. When fully charged, it will paint over a thousand N scale freight cars, including clean up of the brush (unless you paint one car at a time:D). CO2 is good because it is pure and has no water that can foul up the paint. It sprays...
  13. K

    Learn from our Mistakes

    Never try to catch a dropped X-Acto knife. Hmm... what's this thumb doing lying on the floor...?
  14. K

    InterMountain service

    About 6 (or more) weeks ago, I ordered 60 Intermountain N scale reefer jewel cases with inserts (I have a LOT of kits to build). I knew they were backordered, but I told Intermountain to ship 'em when they were in stock. Well, they arrived about 10 days ago (free shipping! Woo hoo!), but they...
  15. K

    Wholesale trains.com

    I just checked their prices. Nothing to write home about... definitely not close to wholesale prices.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top