Recent content by JWP

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Carnival diorama

    Looks like a good start. Nice to see another ride modeler out there. Several years ago, I constructed a small traditional amusement park diorama. It's now in disrepair after a move and I'm planning an expanded and greatly upgraded park. Are your rides from kits or scratch?
  2. J

    Columbus, OH

    Here are three to check out, all close to each other in the Clintonville neighborhood north of downtown and the OSU campus area: The Train Station (www.trainstationohio.com), located on Indianola Avenue. Exclusively trains with a good selection of rolling stock and engines in HO scale. Also...
  3. J

    High Speed Metal Products

    They look a lot like a set my sister has that I think she got from Reader's Digest as some sort of subscription premium. If they are the same (I don't think the Reader's Digest cars are die cast), they won't work very well unless you replace the extremely poor quality trucks and couplers. The...
  4. J

    good HO tank engine

    Yup! The pickup on the middle driver is one of those "visual annoyances".
  5. J

    good HO tank engine

    Bowser has a ready-to-run 0-4-0 Dockside that is probably also related to the old Varney model. I don't know how to compares to the Life-Like version. http://bowser-trains.com/hoemrrs/dockside/dockside.htm Model Power has an 0-6-0 in their Mantua Classics line. I picked up one cheap at...
  6. J

    Quality H O Steam Locomotive?

    The only "mainstream" American-made steam engines that I know of are Bowser. These are fairly involved kits but they don't require any specialized tools or knowledge. Just patience, a willingness to learn, and a desire to enjoy the building process. When you finish, you'll have a locomotive...
  7. J

    Weekend photofun 13/14/15 June

    Just about done with my Bowser B6 kit. Before: After:
  8. J

    Which "Chopper" do You Like?

    I have the Chopper 1. I bought years ago before there was a Chopper II. It is *mostly* ok except the clamps that hold down the cutting angles do not clamp tight anymore because the threaded inserts in the masonite base came loose. Chopper II might not have that problem since it has a metal base.
  9. J

    Getting your wife involved

    It's true. On those occasions my wife comes to the hobby store with me, she is always drawn to the figures. She is particularly amused by the strange Prieser figures, like the sexy santa. As a child, I skipped Farmer Boy, but I'm reading it now and find it quite interesting! :)
  10. J

    Getting your wife involved

    My wife isn't particularly interested in the trains, but she does appreciate fine craftsmanship and models in general. She haa a very artistic eye which is a great help when dealing with color choices, etc. When I eventually build my layout, I'll be using her consulting services a lot. Maybe...
  11. J

    Feb 29th Leapyear weekend photo fun

    Long-time lurker, infrequent poster here... Here's my latest project. I grew up in NJ and often visited the Whippany Railway Museum. I've had in the back of my head for a long time to make an HO-scale model of the old water tank. The plans in the March issue of Model Railroader were just...
  12. J

    Where to find brick sheets

    I meant to say "might NOT be useful for you". Aarrghh!
  13. J

    Where to find brick sheets

    I found some nice stuff from "John Rendall Scale Models" at the hobby store the other day. The sheets are on the small size so it might be useful for you. It has an unusual brick pattern which is perfect for my project!
  14. J

    Small steam switchers

    The Mantua (now owned by Model Power) 0-4-0 is a pretty ncie little engine. I picked it up for around $20 at Hobby Lobby (with 40% off coupon). Couldn't resist!
  15. J

    Athletic fields on layout

    I had a tennis court on an old layout, and even that I compressed a little to save space. It actually looked better than building it to scale because a full-size scale court would have looked too massive in comparison to everything else.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top