Recent content by gravel

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    Beveling camper top tape?

    I got a damaged roll of rubber 1/8 sheeting from work. With it not being so thick I did not tapper the edges. I made templates curves and my turnouts. That stuff is 3/16 and most cork road bed is 3/16 or 1/4.
  2. G

    If you had it to do over, what....

    Like most people do N and not HO. Would make sure DCC stuff and reliability was up to snuff first. I would draw out the bench work and scenery on the wall so I could paint it before hand. Put in 3 or 4 times the amount of room between towns. Draw out the industry buildings better. (If...
  3. G

    i never heard of these type of auto carriers

    Ahh the FEMA auto trailers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsdfGdybkSI
  4. G

    flextrack question.

    With the sliding rail on the inside the ties slide closer together. It looks better. With the sliding rail on the outside the ties separate and might cause a stability or gauge issues on tight curves. I don't think the ties look as good. If you bank your curves you can pre glue your “lifts”...
  5. G

    Where you buy your track from?

    I do mostly mom and pop hobby shop and a little bit online. There hobby shop is about 2 miles out of my from my trip home from work. There prices are about 5% more than online prices but comes out cheaper once it's shipped. They will order about anything you want. When I start a new...
  6. G

    PC Power Supplies

    Search “lab power supply from computer power supply”. There are a few “how to's” on Google and YouTube. Depending on how you run the wires out the back depends on the cost but should only cost a few $.
  7. G

    less expensive power source?

    I use 2 computer power supplies for powering switches and lights around the layout. I have not tried using one to power the DCC system. Computer power supplies can put out 3.3 volts (only part of them), 5 volts, 12 volts, and 7 volts (but very limited) There is info out there about...
  8. G

    Block protection (newie to DCC)

    I did some searching and found a 12V Circuit Breaker 5 Amp push button reset for $7.95 each. It looks like it would work great in a panel. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=84590&intAbsolutePage=1
  9. G

    Block protection (newie to DCC)

    The club that I go to uses fuses for block protection. They use blade fuses that light when blown. It works but I’ve seen people go through 5 to 10 fuses before they fix the issue.
  10. G

    where do you work?

    I'm physical therapist working with kids from 3 months to about 10 years old. I work 4 days a week out of the hospital and once a week to a clinic in a neighboring city. I speak at 10 to 15 conferences a year. I get to make full size models and make orthotics and prosthetics to fit.
  11. G

    Car numbering system?

    I had 2 costume stamp made with my road name on it. I also got 2 sets of number stamps. The stamps are close to scale. I did my N scale with decals and did not like working with them. I experimented with using stamps instead and I feel I have more control with them and look just as good...
  12. G

    Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

    There is a value you use to adjust the amount of drips per min. You just want to keep the pad damp but not wet. You also want to keep the car moving so that your cleaning chemical can evaporate and dose not pool on the track.
  13. G

    Car numbering system?

    I guess I'm South of you in the Shenandoah Valley. We could catch with each other one day.
  14. G

    Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

    I have one and use rubbing alcohol in it. You can use something stronger because the tank and drip system is made of brass. Some of the cheaper ones use plastic witch will melt with stronger chemicals. I try to use it as more of a preventive maintenance type thing and not wait till your...
  15. G

    Car numbering system?

    No I have never counted all my cars, but I do collect them. But my guess is biased off having 2,200 counted cars in 2005, winning bid at auction of 1,500 cars in 2007, bought out all the HO stock of a model shop in 2009 was 700+ cars, and know I have picked up at least 200 at yard sales and the...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top