Recent content by Al Silverstein

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. A

    Looking For Grade Crossing System HO

    I believe Azatrax (azatrax.com) has what you need.
  2. A

    Momentary occupancy detection

    Here is the solution that I use which in effect solves the problem. 1) I have installed on all of my rolling stock and engines at least one set of resistive wheel sets (generally one set at each end of the rolling stock). This will cause a very low current drain from the rails (about 10 ma...
  3. A

    Digitrax wiring colors

    Here is the link to the Digitrax DH123D manual. http://www.digitrax.com/v1/ftp/dh123d.pdf
  4. A

    Preferred DCC Systems

    I warn you in advance this response started out short and quickly got longer than intended. You may want to skip over this soapbox dissertation. I have found in my 45 years of model railroading (23 years in HO followed by 22 years in N) and 16 years using DCC that anyone can learn to do...
  5. A

    Digitrax SE8C

    Actually if you do not use the turnout or block occupancy inputs of the SE8c then you do not need to change any addresses for DSxx or BDLxxx devices. I have found that you can overlap such things as switch addresses and block occupancy detection addresses on multiple function devices as long...
  6. A

    Digitrax SE8C

    To better understand the SE8c you must first take into consideration that the device is divided into 8 elements of two inputs, one output for turnouts and 8 outputs for signal aspects. This arrangement is for organizational purposes. Actually the SE8c is a multipurpose device designed to...
  7. A

    To Twist or Not To Twist

    I don't post much here but this is one topic that amuses me. I always enjoy a good laugh when the subject of twisting verses now twisting comes up. The concept of parallel wires causing or picking up interference is the general reason for twisting wire. Now how do you twist the track. Here...
  8. A

    DCC & Sound in Loco and one car

    I am a N scale modeler and for us N scale modelers sound is rare because we do not generally have the space for a sound decoder in our engines nor do we have the luxury of being able to install speakers large enough to create good sound. On the other side of that same situation I know of...
  9. A

    NCE P515 Supply Voltage +/-

    Brad, Most unregulated power supplies test higher without a load than with a load. Your PS515 will have no problem powering a NCE 5 amp output command station. Al
  10. A

    Keep or change this?

    Actually either layout will be just fine if you redefine what is the reverse loop area. The concept of what is a reverse loop changes when one enters the wonderful world of DCC in as much as you are running your trains with no real need to manually control the polarity/phasing of the rails...
  11. A

    FRUSTRATION CITY.. Who's to Blame For This?

    I am relative new to this forum but an old timer model railroaded and a master where DCC is concerned. While I am a N scale modeler what is listed below can or does apply to all scales where DCC is applicable. Trouble shooting any DCC system requires two things. You need to know that at...
  12. A

    new to dcc i need to know the basics on digitrax and loconet

    Jamie, If you want to learn about DCC then a good book to help you along the way is Practical Guide to Digital Command Control by Larry Puckett and published by Carstens Publications. Larry has been writing articles dealing with DCC for over 10 years. This particular book was first published...
  13. A

    Working Signals With Digitrax Zypher?

    Signaling can be very complicated or relatively simple depending upon the complexity of the signaling system you are trying to create. As has been indicated there are a number of different operating protocols that need to be determined. Once this is done you need to be able to determine the...
  14. A

    Got a problem I think, Digitrax Zephyr

    Here are comments on a few observations dealing in part with your problem. 1) The Lenz LE062XF decoder does not have the factory default reset feature. At least non of the Atlas engines that I purchased ever had this feature. Over time I replaced all of those decoders with the Digitrax...
  15. A

    Posi-tap connectors

    I had to go to the Posi website to look up what a Posi-Tap was. After reviewing the product I looked at the online ordering pricing and I was shocked. If I am looking at what others here are talking about the cost of the blue Posi-Tap is outrageous, at least from the manufacturer. Is anybody...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top