Wiring insulfrog turnouts

hotwinger

HO Switchman
I'm about ready to install all Peco Insulfrog turnouts. from differant posts I have read on wiring turnouts this seems like it would work. But when I take a second look at it, it seems like it's too much. Would all the drops be neccasary?
3090496730_df30a22b95_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I'm afraid so. You want to assure that both the main line and the diverging route have power. If you don't do the drops from each switch, the route the points are set against will be electrically dead. That was good for DC, since you could isolate a train on a siding or industrial spur and either leave it dead or provide power by the same kind of wire drops but then back to a toggle switch, which is way more complicated. All you want to do here is provide power to all routes so you trains will run regardless of the point position. It's just one wire to the main and one to the diverging route but you will have to do this at every switch.

Great, thanks Jim. I might be getting the NCE powercab for christmas from my wife so I'm excited to get going on my track.

Back