Why You Need BIG ENGINES on Your Layout (Explained by an engineer)

Very interesting. However, since my "era" ends about 1959, and I model in HO scale, I don't have any use for second generation diesels. As to big engines for my layout, my biggest are a pair of 2-10-4's and a pair of 2-10-2's, which will handle 18" radius curves!
Stay well and safe! Happy Hanukah to my Jewish friends!

I like big power and random lashups of diesels, and I also have god-awful helices to battle with, you don't need to tell me!

IMG_20201024_185021113_BURST000_COVER_TOP-2.jpg

Another excellent video DJ! 👍👍

I model the B&O at a time (1969-72) when four-axel units ruled!:p Of course, they did make "cameo" appearances once in a while, like this unit here:

BnO_7484.jpg

Which reminds me...I have a prototype question for you DJ: A local friend of mine claims that road power foremen like to assign consists where every axel has the same amount of horsepower - so, for example, SD40's and GP38's would often be consisted together. Is that true, or just an urban legend? Inquiring minds want to know...

Great video. I'd love to get some bigger locos on my layout and I have been working on eliminating 18r curves from my main line. BUT, my local RR has a huge fleet of GP38's and similar 4 axel locos that are MU'ed together do most of the heavy hauling. They do have one SD unit, though. They mostly use that as their yard mule. :)

Back