Why does one particular spot on my track always get dirty?

I have one section on my layout that always get dirty before any other section of track. I can't figure out why. It's a 3' section of straight track with power feeders before and after. All Nickle metal track. I just don't get why this one section of track is the first to pick up the dirt.
I have noticed this on the layout at my place of employment. From the spots that are collecting the dirt I am beginning to think it is where wheels are not in good contact with the rail. Like they bump a little on a guard rail, or over the turnout frog. It gets a lot of dirt around the Atlas re-railing tracks. These are not big things just 1/16th to 1/4th inch places that will accumulate enough gunk to be visible to the eye.

I have used a product called "NO OX ID A-Special". It is an industrial / military grade conductive grease which helps protect against oxidation. Just a thin film of this across troublesome track, and it smooths out operation considerably. We do use it were I work.... On a full sized 1:1 scale light rail system. :)

I tried No-Ox. It was a miserable failure, made the track even dirtier and connectivity issues arose everywhere! I did my best to follow the application tutorials and, while I am fully willing to blame operator error, I found it did not work well at all. No-Ox will never be put back on my tracks. I know some people have used it and love it and have had great success - I'm simply not one of them.

Back