Wheels not turning.

GOT IT FIGURED OUT!!!

So on my Athearn F-45 I got the motor up and running again. (like i said in another post, it looks like this engine sat in water for a long time because everything metal has heavy rust on it.

The SW7 i have was the same way, they were both like this when i got them.

Well i got everything tore down and cleaned so theres no rust. But when i put power to it the motor turns on and trys to turn but its almost like the gears/wheels are locked up.

am i gonna need new trucks, or is there another solution.

Any ideas as to whats causing this.

Also the power strip that runs from the motor to the trucks was so rusty it borke apart. where can i get these at? ( didnt see any listed at athearn) or can I hardwire the unit and get rid of the power strip?

Ive provided a few pics to show the rust.

DSC00528.png

DSC00531.png

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00535.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa... that is rusty!
Chances are the entire electrical system from the pickups to the brushes will need cleaning.
Hard wiring as you mentioned even makes a good loco run better, I do all mine.
I'd try to clean things up but wouldn't put too much time or money into it without looking at another loco.

everythings been cleaned already, the motor runs great. but once its all hooked up to the trucks the motor trys to turn everything but thats as far as it goes.

Aww got it figured out, the lil square brass inserts that go on the axles on each side of the gear were rusted to the point they wouldnt turn freely on the axle its self.

knew i forgot something, now it moves very nicely.

I was going to suggest that the thrust bearings (those little brass inserts) were probably seized up. I'm assuming you have already taken the gear towers apart and cleaned all the gears, checked the for burrs and lubricated them when you were done. Running a wire between the motor contacts is much more reliable the the brass strip anyway, even if it didn't look like it came up from the wreck of the Titanic. :) It's too bad that rust was so bad the engines wouldn't run. That's some of the best weathered trucks I've seen. :D

Back