What gauge to use

cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
OK, I've read all I found on the gauge of wire to use for a main bus. I've mostly seen 14 and 16 gauge recommended with a few using 12 gauge. I will have a 12x8 DCC HO layout with a couple hundred feet of track. I was planning on using 14 gauge. Sound kosher?:confused:

12 guage wire is hard to handle and overkill for your size layout. 14 gauge will work just fine for your main bus wiring. It's also way easier getting connectors to work with stranded 14 gauge than solid 12 gauge. Have you calculated how many amps your layout will consume? You may even be able to get away with 16 gauge wire.

Sisteen gauge would be fine for someone operating up to perhaps 10 sound engines at a time. Each modern sound engine takes about 0.5 amps, often as little as half that and still be able to pull 10 cars up a 1.5% grade...ballparking.

If you were operating on a layout with others, and had many diesels consisted, say 12 or 16 around a layout with 300' of track, 16 gauge would probably still be okay, but getting marginal. 14 would be better, and once you begin to draw 10 amps or more consistently on your layout, 12 would be the better choice.

The way to calculate your amperage requirements is to have a fairly sound approximationg of the "stall current" requirements of your decoders. That is derived by clamping your engines with your hands and pressing down just enough to prevent them from moving. At the same time, you must have the tracks metered nearby, and turn the throttle up to a fairly high setting. Watch what the amp meter does (for DCC you need a special meter...the $14 multimeter from Wal Mart won't be accurate for the type of signal in DCC). You do this quickly, and then reduce the throttle within a second or two..you don't want to load the engine and decoder unnecessarily. That stall current reading, plus those of all your other engines, is your total requirement. I would add another 30% and call that your optimal requirement for a DCC system, and to figure out the load and wiring.

Generally, though, a regular non-sound DCC engine with a can motor will draw about 0.2-0.3 amps pulling a train typical of most layouts. Add those up, and you get your total current requirements. For sound engines, and they do vary, count on 0.4 as a safe bet, more if you know you'll have grades in excess of 2% and want to pull consists over 15 properly weighted cars.

Excellent explanation, Crandell. The only thing I would add is that any lighting on your layout (street lights, building lights, etc.) should really be run off a separate bus. Although it's possible to do both trains and lights from one bus, you will start to suck up amps rapidly. You're also feeding the maximum voltage to each bulb, which means you should wire a number of bulbs in series to reduce the voltage to make the lights more realistic. I have a separate lighting bus of 16 gauge wire being fed by an old (but still good) MRC powerpack. The bus is wired to the variable throttle side of the power pack so I reduce all the lighting to a realistic level with a turn of the "throttle". I have just over 100 light bulbs, mostly grain of wheat or grain of rice type bulbs with a few LED's. The powerpack puts out 10 amps and I can overload it if I go past about 80% on the throttle. Light bulbs take lots of power if you have lots of light bulbs. :)

OK, based on this advice and size of my layout (HO, DCC, 12x8), I'll be running 14 gauge as my main bus.

I've read a lot about gauge for drop wires from the track to the main bus and have gotten a lot of suggestions as to gauge. I have miles of 22 gauge phone wire that I had planned on using but I've recently read a few articles saying that's too light. As far as I can deterfmine, it looks like I should use 18 or 20 gauge.

I intend to run a max of 3 trains simultaneously with consists of 2-3 engines each. I will have a 3.5% grade (yea I know, a little steep but c'est la vie) to get me to a height of 6 inches over a length of about 14 feet. I'll be using code 83 flex track with plenty of switches.

So should it be 18 or 20 gauge (assuming 22 is too small)?

As long as the 22 gauge wire drops are only a foot or so long, they should work fine. The total current a wire can carry is function of both wire size and wire length. A smaller gauge wire that's very short will carry plenty of current to just feed tracks.

Bernie
I have a very similair sized HO layout set up with DCC. I went overboard and used 12 GA in 6 differant blocks, so my longest run of wire is no more than 25 feet. The 12 GA is then tied into terminal block, and from there I ran 18 GA for feeders to the track. If I had to do it again, I would use 14 GA, much easier to work with. I do believe the feeders using 18 GA for me works, as some of my feeders are longer than usual.
Jeff

Back