What are these?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I have 14 of these little "switches" which are nice - very compact and would be very useful I think for accessory lighting especially; however, how do you use them?

How do you wire them? Are they like any other switch - Positive from power source to one terminal of the switch, then the positive from the switch to the light you ant lit for example while running the negative straight from the power source?

If that is the case, is there a "plug" you can get for the terminals of the switch?

I have 14 of these little "switches" which are nice - very compact and would be very useful I think for accessory lighting especially; however, how do you use them?

How do you wire them? Are they like any other switch - Positive from power source to one terminal of the switch, then the positive from the switch to the light you ant lit for example while running the negative straight from the power source?

If that is the case, is there a "plug" you can get for the terminals of the switch?
Bit hard as you haven't said which switches you have, are they DPTD, SPDT?

But essentially the way you described it is correct, live into one side of the switch, live other side of switch to light, you can run your ground/negative the same way or direct to your power source.

Connectors, I assume your asking about these.
1682067652809.png

Bit hard as you haven't said which switches you have, are they DPTD, SPDT?
I have no idea what type they are - they have an On/Off on one side and two little prongs on the other, one in the Off position and the other in the On position.

As for the connectors - no, there are no "spade terminals" on the switch, just the two little Pin Like Prongs. Looks as though there might be a "Plug: that fits over the Prongs ?

Here is a better picture of what I am talking about:

CFPc051.jpg

AOCeUFO.jpg

Those "Prongs" are less 0.5 mm wide - more like "Pins" than Prongs" really.

I guess I could wire one up and see what happens ... if I blow it up then so be it. If it works, then all the techo stuff is irrelevant - to me any way :)

I have no idea what type they are - they have an On/Off on one side and two little prongs on the other, one in the Off position and the other in the On position.

As for the connectors - no, there are no "spade terminals" on the switch, just the two little Pin Like Prongs. Looks as though there might be a "Plug: that fits over the Prongs ?

Here is a better picture of what I am talking about:

CFPc051.jpg

AOCeUFO.jpg

Those "Prongs" are less 0.5 mm wide - more like "Pins" than Prongs" really.

I guess I could wire one up and see what happens ... if I blow it up then so be it. If it works, then all the techo stuff is irrelevant - to me any way :)
I'm clueless as to what would fit on that, might be easier to solder the wires on.

You can assume things didn't work out to well - in general. I am going to spend a day or two cleaning this cr_ap room out, if not entirely, close to it and then I'll see about doing anything productive.

You can assume things didn't work out to well - in general. I am going to spend a day or two cleaning this cr_ap room out, if not entirely, close to it and then I'll see about doing anything productive.
Sounds like a man with a plan to me :)

Yup, D&J has it. Those 'legs' are 0.100" centers. SPST slide switch. Can't tell the real size so looks like not much current carrying capability- you might get 1/2Amp out of them. They make proto boards for these - copper on one side, nothing on the other. Copper side usually has additional holes to connect to for each switch. Oh, and if you use some sort of pic stick for uncoupling, you should have no problems with these. My fingers are to fat just to use a finger/thumb nail and end up switching 2 or 3 of the things.

Later

As stated they are designed to be used on a PC board. They allow things to be manually set on the circuit. I had a fast clock that had one of those to set the clock speed. Some garage door openers use those to set the remote code.

They are intended for low voltage, low amperage, set and forget applications with relatively infrequent use.

Thanks guys - so what you are saying is - they are totally useless for what I intended to use them for - which is okay cos they were dirt cheap and I have a bucket load of micro On/Off Switches I can use :)

Tony: Well, maybe not completely useless. Out of curiosity I looked up the spec's on Digikey. Best I saw was 50mA at 25VDC. If you have something that changes once in a great while they may be useful. Using them to switch stuff on/off on a continuous basis is probably not what you want to do.

Later

Thanks for the info Todd, appreciated. I bought them with the intention of using them to turn my lights n and off as well as any other On/Off type accessory. As said, they were dirt cheap, only $4 or $5 (for 14) from memory so I am not that upset :)

Thanks for the info Todd, appreciated. I bought them with the intention of using them to turn my lights n and off as well as any other On/Off type accessory. As said, they were dirt cheap, only $4 or $5 (for 14) from memory so I am not that upset :)
They are not designed to be switched on and off frequently. Usually they are turned on or off once when installing (configuring) the circuit board and remain that way foooorrreeevver.

Back