Video tour of the Logan Valley

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Here are a couple of rather crude videos of the Logan Valley layout. The layout was started over 20 years ago and came to a grinding halt when there wore no longer any hobby shops in my area. Thankfully, in recent years, e-retailers have come onto the internet and I have been able to start working on the layout again. There are still a few areas that are under construction, and these areas are being adressed as time allows.

The first is an overview of the layout. http://youtu.be/BOXCb5yIoAw

The second is a cab ride. http://youtu.be/CnUKT4__S1w

I'll have to remake these at some time in the future as I had an overhead light go out and I am still getting used to the video camera. Can't get it through the tunnels into the hidden staging tracks as the camera is a bit too big to fit through the portals. Hole you enjoy.

I like all the detail work.......strangely, the over view and the cab ride almost seem like 2 different RRs. I notice some of the same industries, but if you didn't post the videos together, I'm not sure I would recognize one from the other. Nice work on the layout anyway. What are you using for a camera?

The camera is a Cannon Vixia HF R400. Barely squeaks through the bridges and cuts, but won't fit through a tunnel portal. Maybe a long depressed center flat car would work, but that car wouldn't be true to the era I am modeling. I noticed that the quality is very poor on youtube compared to the original, which is in HD when viewing it on the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera is a Cannon Vixia HF R400. Barely squeaks through the bridges and cuts, but won't fit through a tunnel portal. Maybe a long depress center flat car would work, but that car wouldn't be true to the era I am modeling.
Well, strictly speaking, neither is a miniature digital video camera... ;)

Seriously, though, thanks for posting these. Having seen and admired your still shots, it is nice to see the layout scenes in context. Very nice work. And I will say that the quality of the video seems just fine to me.

From the DairyStatePhone

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the train ride. What about putting the camera on a flat car a few back and point off to the side a little on your next tour?

Good Job !!!!!!!! lasm

Unfortunately, the camera is a little too large to point off of the side. The clearances on the bridge and in some of the cuts are so close that I had to pick the camera up quite a few times before I finally got it positioned so it would clear everything.

Back