Trying a reverse curve in Kato but cannot get it to knit.

dgrafix

Hi, bit of a noob here. I am trying to do a C shaped layout using Kato Unitrack with a standing area (red). Space is limited so will have to fold down on a board (says her!).
Anyway got this little problem that when using the 315 radius track, the CAD is telling me that the peices are out of whack and i just cannot find any way to insert a peice to make it knit. I can get to just a few MM but have tried all sorts of combos.
You can see my problem. I have tried a few other radius on the inner curve too but there must be a way:
No KAto.PNG

Hi, bit of a noob here. I am trying to do a C shaped layout using Kato Unitrack with a standing area (red). Space is limited so will have to fold down on a board (says her!).
Anyway got this little problem that when using the 315 radius track, the CAD is telling me that the peices are out of whack and i just cannot find any way to insert a peice to make it knit. I can get to just a few MM but have tried all sorts of combos.
You can see my problem. I have tried a few other radius on the inner curve too but there must be a way:
When using the track planning software with Kato Track that happens a lot.

With Unitrack there is enough give and flex that you will be able to find a suitable piece to join them. Hope I explained that right.

I wouldn't worry too much that they wont connect with the planning programs. There is always a way.

When using the track planning software with Kato Track that happens a lot.

With Unitrack there is enough give and flex that you will be able to find a suitable piece to join them. Hope I explained that right.

I wouldn't worry too much that they wont connect with the planning programs. There is always a way.
Thank you, good to know. I have ordered a load of trac but it has not arrived yet so just brainstorming and dreaming at the moment.
Should look quite good when done, i am planning that center loop to go into a tunnel under the table for more build space too :D

Thank you, good to know. I have ordered a load of trac but it has not arrived yet so just brainstorming and dreaming at the moment.
Should look quite good when done, i am planning that center loop to go into a tunnel under the table for more build space too :D
Thats the beauty of that type of track. Get it, put it together, and then you can start mixing and playing to come up with different arrangements.

So don't be in a hurry to mount it permanently.

Sounds like you have the creative juiced flowing already. As most will tell you, this is a very addicting hobby!

Okay, firstly welcome and secondly, using track planning design software is nothing more than a "guide" to what you can do and what you want/would like. The best (and only) way to see if your design will work is to put the actual track down and manipulate it to your requirements.

I am not familiar with Kato Track so can't really offer any "actual solutions". Perhaps you may have to "fill the gap" with flex track OR cur a piece of sectional tractional track to fit?

dgragix,
Not that I'm telling you to use a different track planner but the one I used had an option called Smart Insert and a sub-menu item called Close Gap with Tracks (flex track). Check your app to see if there is a similar option. It just took care of it and told you the exact length of track you need. Glenn

Welcome to the Forum, as Wombat457 has already posted, there should be a certain amount of give in the track to allow you to close the gap, unless your talking several inches, then flex track or a piece of cut set track will do it.

Hmmm, maybe this will help. It looks like you have a track on top of a track to the left of the 'A'. See how the ties are bunched together? Delete it. Still have a track showing? If so, that could be the problem. If that didn't fix it, delete the straight pieces between the ends of the 90 degree curves. Now click the properties button in the top menu ( ? ) then click on each of the curves and make sure that they are set at 0 or 360 degrees for the unconnected end(s). Try connecting your straight sections again.

Later

The track has arrived and an amazed how compact it is. I have totally changed my mind now I can feel and touch it. You were right too, the flex is almost as forgiving as normal HO bedless non flex track. So lots of wiggle room.
Wonderful quality.
I am now going to go for a triple loop shelf layout. 320mm wide with 2 turning boards at either end, 1M by 70 wide.
She will be much happier with that than my original pull down idea.. plus it means I don't have to take non glued stuff away each time from the layout.
I will post my progress as I go 😄

Back