Tomix Thomas?

PartsMan

New N gauge guy
My two year old would think I was a god if I had Thomas or Percy chugging around my track.

Have any of you tried these?
Is there ANY place other than Evilbay to get one?
Warrenty?

Plaza Japan is the only US importer of N scale Tomix Thomas products and Tomix is the only licensed maker of N scale Thomas products. They have an e-bay store only since they are actually located in Japan. You get the standard Japanese warranty, whatever that may be. I've never heard any complaints about Plaza Japan except that they only sell the engines as part of set so you're out about $300 with shipping. It would be a lot cheaper to buy an HO Thomas set, some plywood, and just run that for your son.

I keep telling myself the HO Bachmann makes more sence, but that wouldn't be daddy's layout. He wants to be me and I want to promote that.

They (plazajapan) have percy and one car for $63+$15 now. Item # 360105241166
I have seen a simular set with thomas and two passenger cars for $70 before.

I just don't want to throw that money away on junk with no warrenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, that would work but it's not in stock with a delivery date of unknown, which usually means a long time, if ever, at Walthers. If this is really important to you, pop for the $80 and don't worry about the warranty. After all, it's just a motor and some wires in Thomas and it's not usually hard to fix if something goes wrong. Tomix has a good reputation in Japan of building quality stuff so I wouldn't worry about it.

If your question was the quality of the engines, we have one that we run on our ntrak setup and it runs just fine.....it maybe doesn't have the slow-speed manners of some engines, but you don't see the real (real??!!??) Thomas putting around too often either......for continous running it'll run all day if we let it. I doubt your son would care about slow speed operating anyway. If you're interested, I've seen sets on ebay with Thomas, Percy, Gordan and Edward for $270. A bit much, but I bet your son would love it :)

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

I may be off the hook. He told me yesterday that Thomas' freind, Salty the dockside diesel switcher, looks "just like our red one". A Bachmann Plymouth MDT.

One of our club members has all 4 sets of Thomas and his friends, they ran flawlessly for
2 weekends in a row when our Ntrak club participated in A Day Out with Thomas. The kids just loved seeing them run on the layout.

I have, oops, I mean my son has;), Thomas, Percy, James, and Henry. I got all of them excpet for Thomas through Plaza Japan and have always been satisfied(my father-in-law got Thomas while he was in Japan). The Thomas and James that we have are good runners and Percy and Henry are both excellent runners. I was suprised how well Percy runs, being an 0-4-0, but he does have a flywheel to help him out. The Thomas and James that we have do not have flywheels. I do not know if Tomix has updated James or not, but Thomas has been updated to a split frame design with a flywheel, so I'm sure the newer Thomas is an excellent runner. Henry does not have a flywheel, but he does pick up current from two of his tender's axles to help him out.

Back