Thrift store find.

Mike Fury

I recently found a Bachmann Auto Train loco U36B diesel in a thrift store. It has the #4000 on the cab. 8 wheel drive. After doing some research I found that they made the auto train between 71 and 81. I think 4000 was the first # they used. It's in VG condition, in the box. It also has a sticker on the box that states "LOCOMOTIVE GUARANTEED FOR LIFE". They also seem to be fairly rare, 0 listings on ebay or amazon. Does any one have any info on this and if you were to sell it what would be a fair price? And has anyone used this "Guarantee"? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently found a Bachmann Auto Train loco U36B diesel in a thrift store. It has the #4000 on the cab. 8 wheel drive. After doing some research I found that they made the auto train between 71 and 81. I think 4000 was the first # they used. It's in VG condition, in the box. It also has a sticker on the box that states "LOCOMOTIVE GUARANTEED FOR LIFE". They also seem to be fairly rare, 0 listings on ebay or amazon. Does any one have any info on this and if you were to sell it what would be a fair price? And has anyone used this "Guarantee"? Thanks in advance.
First of all I would not sell it. Selling a train is heresy. As near as I can tell the guarantee works like this, you ship them the locomotive and a check for return shipping. They will repair and return. However I believe that guarantee is only for the original owner, so they might require an original receipt.

Back