The greenbrier logging and coal co

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

OleSmokey

I used arlinees Before and that worked ok but it kept soaking up the grasses and left a dull finish. I had a bottle here but Deb decided to use it up. I went to get another bottle and they were out. Someone here on-line..can't remember which site but they were using this stuff. I liked the looks of it so i tried the hill around and behind the houses to try it out. I vacuumed it off afterwards. It didn't get much off so i was happy. Its been 3 months now and it is still holding. I used it in the trees as well. It really worked better than Hob-e-tack. A lot less messy too. Its a Garnier fructis style product Its called Extreme Control Hairspray. It says on a 1-5 scale its a 5. I got the 8.25oz. bottle and i used it on trees and grasses and it is still holding. So far i have to vacuum the track area and will see how this area works out. I will let you know.

OleSmokey

I started using Aleenes and it wasn't working for me with trees. Tried the Hob-e-tack and it didn't look right and continued to be sticky and was a dust collector. I took them off the layout and started using this hair spray and i started getting the results i was looking for. When i use glue for grasses you need to use more powders than i do with the Hairspray. I don't use as much so i don't vacuum it as much so i don't loose as much. I am getting about a 1/16" of powders on the ground.I can put some down and them press it down into the spray and just let it dry. I guess i will find out in time..

logandsawman

I started using Aleenes and it wasn't working for me with trees. Tried the Hob-e-tack and it didn't look right and continued to be sticky and was a dust collector. I took them off the layout and started using this hair spray and i started getting the results i was looking for. When i use glue for grasses you need to use more powders than i do with the Hairspray. I don't use as much so i don't vacuum it as much so i don't loose as much. I am getting about a 1/16" of powders on the ground.I can put some down and them press it down into the spray and just let it dry. I guess i will find out in time..
I put down some watery glue first, then sprinkle the ground foam down, then eye dropper glue mixture over it, do not use any spray on the layout. I am using some dry sifted sand materials as well. If it doesn't stick well enough eyedropper some more glue water.

My substrate is hydrocal so probably acts differently than yours, sorry but don't remember what you are sticking your ground cover to?

OleSmokey

Bare Foam,(pink) or Plaster cloth. The main yard is on Pink foam all the way from the engine house to the river. Would something like Elmers glue work? In a eye dropper maybe? I would do that part over to make sure it don't come apart. I have no wants, to have to tear out the turnouts again.

logandsawman

Bare Foam,(pink) or Plaster cloth. The main yard is on Pink foam all the way from the engine house to the river. Would something like Elmers glue work? In a eye dropper maybe? I would do that part over to make sure it don't come apart. I have no wants, to have to tear out the turnouts again.
Just about anything will stick to the plaster cloth. To adhere to foam, however, craft foam glue or construction adhesive is recommended.

OleSmokey

I have been kinda busy for a bit. Doctors... Nuff said? Anyway i have got some work done. I did say some...

Attachments

• rsz_20220805_191038.jpg
    rsz_20220805_191038.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 4
  • rsz_20220805_191044.jpg
    rsz_20220805_191044.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 4

OleSmokey

A bit more done today, But have a slow down again. Have to wait for more connectors to hook up the rest of the layout. While i am at it i am making a small change to the layout. Am adding a 1 foot piece to make total length to 9 foot. Will be adding that to the logging camp side. I need more room for that camp and some more distance from the sawmill. Shots of the work today. Slow but steady. One thing i did find out is no matter how smooth the foam is and the track is, I have little holes in the scenery to fill. Some are not hard but i got to be real careful around the control movement on the side of the turnouts. Just won't look good to leave them little holes around the turnouts and track. Shots below. It looks like hell for sure.

Attachments

• rsz_20220806_161529.jpg
    rsz_20220806_161529.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 7
  • rsz_20220806_161546.jpg
    rsz_20220806_161546.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 7
  • rsz_20220806_161557.jpg
    rsz_20220806_161557.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7

logandsawman

A bit more done today, But have a slow down again. Have to wait for more connectors to hook up the rest of the layout. While i am at it i am making a small change to the layout. Am adding a 1 foot piece to make total length to 9 foot. Will be adding that to the logging camp side. I need more room for that camp and some more distance from the sawmill. Shots of the work today. Slow but steady. One thing i did find out is no matter how smooth the foam is and the track is, I have little holes in the scenery to fill. Some are not hard but i got to be real careful around the control movement on the side of the turnouts. Just won't look good to leave them little holes around the turnouts and track. Shots below. It looks like hell for sure.
Fridays pics look like you had an EF-4 tornado.

Adding the foot to the end is a great idea, fortunately you have the option.

OleSmokey

I thought a 2 foot piece would be nice but while playing around with the plan, i found that 1 foot would do the trick. I will still need to move the layout to the side wall instead of the back wall of the room. That will not be fun. I can do it but lighting is first. I have a hard time with ladders anymore. I loose balance easy. So i have a friend that will do that so i don't have to. I am holding anymore work till i get that layout moved to its new spot and i can add the new track. I will work on the part i finished. It needs some clean-up and will be fine. I will like it then. I had it that way but i can't remember why i moved it to the back wall. I have measured it several times now and it fits perfect. So.. Maybe i will figure out why i moved it before. Will get shots when we do this to it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.