Steam locos and Unitrak

Chics LI

I am returning to the hobby after many years absence. Used to have American Flyer as a kid.
I found a nice layout on Kato's sight call Amhurst 2005. I would like to use both steam and diesel locos and stay with DC.
Plan on building layout on hollow door (36)x (72)with 2" foam bed. The plans suggest elevating the outside right right curve. Will use left over foam from bed for hills etc.
What W/S size risers should I use to elevate?
Are the curves too tight for larger steam locos like Kato mike?
Where should I put blocks and feeders?
Hope to get some answers , this seems to be ths place to ask.
Thanks,
Tom S.

Hi, Tom, and welcome aboard. To save us all time hunting around the Kato website, do you have a link to the layout in question?

Thanks for the link. You copy and past a URL and hit the enter key. A link is automatically created for you by the forum software. Very easy compared to using HTML code. :)

Since you have more space to work with than the plan calls for, you can widen the curves and add to the straight mainline portions. I see no reeason to add risers to the right curved track since you're not trying to climb a grade to the bridges. Both bridges should be crossing the stream you will carve in the foam at grade. The way to add terrain is using the same type of foam to make small hills and ridges and then have the tracks go through cuts made in those features. Again, you can use foam to make all the above ground topography. Kalmbach, the Model Railroader magazine folks, have several books on how to make scenery using foam and you would be well advised to pick up a few of them and study the methods before starting construction. Any type of scenery that works in HO also work in N scale, you just have to scale it down a bit. You can order the scenery books on-line at http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=prods&id=1

Thanks Jim. Any thoughts on where to place blocks and feeders for power. I have not started yet and will add track to to basic layout to expand a little bit. Ihave some ideas for both scenery and industrial areas.
Tom S.

Back