So I did a thing!

thhynes

It's been 38 years as I had said in my previous post - and I made a mistake, well not really, but I went to the Amherst Model Railroad Show in Springfield last month,, and purchased some very nice N scale box cars, 1 gondola, 1 caboose, just to get something into my hands. First I am very surprised that the QUALITY of these N Scale cars has improved over 38 years, and was amazed at the wheel sets on these things, no longer plastic, but metal!

I also had $200 in Amazon points from buying stuff over the last 18 months, mostly coffee, I know right? I pulled the trigger, I got a brand new soldiering Iron with adjustable heat, flux, solder, wire clippers, and strippers, and tiny pliers and tweezers and a nice little screwdriver set, fine files oh and the list goes on. with all sorts of attachments, most of the stuff was under $7 each, and well most of it I may not use for railroading, but some are good for bonsai tree work as well.

At the same time, I also ordered from Home Depot Foam boards, a base board, lumber, glue, nails, and screws I have....and over the weekend I picked up some flex rail and some sectional curves to see what I could fit on a 4-foot wide board. Oh and I decided on code 55 rail, I was impressed with the way it looked.

So it is all here in the basement, ready to go - my problem is no track plan- and have to decide if I can go 8' or just 6'

If anyone has a simple drawing of their track plan and wishes to share, I may incorporate some of those design aspects.

Sounds like you’re very close to begin. I’m no expert on track planning and there are lots of factors to consider.

My only advice is if you can go 4x8 rather than 4x6 I wouldn’t think twice. We all want a little more room no matter how much room we have 😃. I suspect you’ll have builder’s regret if you go smaller than you could have

Back