short on the layout.

Juergenamlinger

we have a short on db150 command station.? not on the layout track or wire as we checked both. took all engines and stock off the layout cleaned the track . checked all feeder wire good. was working fine till i was fixing a gap between districts. fixed that. then we started are train that was waiting to go down the mt after we cleaned the track. everything is good. till we got to the bottom of the grad just crossing the river. no train control emergency stop train stopped. then the db150 started shorting. in mid operations the 2 district was good ass all lights on the db210 booster. all ar 10 in that district was on. if you put a metal coin a cross the rail in district 2 you get a short on the db210 booster but not in the first district no power on the rails in district1 disconnected rail a rail b from the layout .just the 2 feeder wires that come out of the db150 but when you take the 2 wires out of the db150 the short go,s away strang again. still a short o.k so it not on the layout that we know it is the db150 command station strange in dead. ever have this happen. if you have. do you no how to fix it.? or do i have to order a new system.? thanks all i need help as i,m stuck on this. problem.

I'd probably reverse the wires leading to the second power district, and see how it goes.
hi thanks . on the command station db150 its rail a red wire in a rail b wire in b but on the booster db210 it is reversed. cause we had a short on the booster when we first hooked it up & digitrax said revers the wires so now black feeder wires are red and red wires are black. it got us running.

Connect the DB150 to a piece of flex track and run a loco. If that works, the short is in the railroad. Start disconnecting sections to isolate and narrow down where the problem is.
thanks we did unhook all wires still a short all sub bus wires from there terminal blocks connected to each districts we no the short is not in the 2 district everything is a ok in there. so we isolated it district 1 .

still a short .? changed out the db150 for another db150 still a short we also reversed the wires on the booster no effect it just killed the power to the 2 district. now i will connect the db 150 to a piece of single track to see if it works. ok now when you turn the power on it beeps 5 times track status light flashes but no power to the tracks. also when you take the rail a rail b wires out of the db150 it shows back to normal .

This might seem like a dumb question but it’s not just one loco by any chance?
Have you done as Tim suggested with the leads only hooked to a separate isolated piece of track?

Back