Sd-40-3

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
I've seen pictures of an SD-40-3, and of an SD-40-2. Does anyone know what the major differences between the 2 engines are?? I can't really see any outward differences. Thank you in advance for the help.

The only major differences are all internal with upgraded electrical and controls systems. Many of the these so-called SD40-3's have no relationship to any kind of SD40 externally since they were rebuilt from SD-45's and look like SD-45's. The SD40-3 is an unofficial designation by the railroads that indicates upgraded standard SD40-2's electronics and control systems to newer computer cotrolled and monitored systems. For modelers, it means the chance to run SD-45 carbodies much later into the modern era than if the -3 uprgrades never happened.

As Jim says, SD40-3's are not a builder designation. They are all rebuilt from SD40, SD40-2, SD45, SD45-2, SD40T-2, SD45T-2 so they can look like any of those models externally. If you are doing a wrecked one, remember to put a 16 cyl engine in and not a 20 for those SD45's. You may also see SD40-2M, that is the same as an SD40-3, another rebuilder designation.

Seems everyone beat me to answering this. It follows the same though as UP calling an ES44AC-CTE, "C45AC-CTE". It's not a 4500hp unit, they just used 45 to tell them apart from the AC4400CW-CTE (UP: "C44AC-CTE).

I've heard rumors that the nearby (for me) Bessember & Lake Erie (owned by CN) is getting rid of their EMD Tunnel Motors and they are being replaced by CN SD40-3s.

Back