Scratchbuilding subway car floor

Subwaymodeler

Hello all,

Im new to the forum :D

Im a fanatic of the NYC subways, wanted to make some models from shells that i ran into online of the newer subway cars in NYC. They are just shells. What would you all suggest in making the floors for these? Styrene? Canibalize cars of the same size (which is kinda hard to find for decent prices)
The real ones are 60 ft cars. The seller has sent me the dimensions of the opening but wanted to run it by some experts at the hobby first

Thank you in advance!!!

im not an expert in the hobby...yet. what scale are they modelwise? when you say floor do you mean the whole bottom chassis (running gears, trucks couplers etc.)? I would love to see them can you post photos? the ones i have seen are pretty expensive, relatively speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.... They are HO scale, i can find the trucks couples and underbody details, its the bottom chassie itself for an unpowered car that im curious about how to go about building, They are for the IND/BMT sectors, I grew up there too, moved to miami not too long ago where there are no trains lol
This is the link to the maker, they are the R143's http://islandmodelworks.com/

Hello,

I would be unpowered ones for now, get to the harder ones as i go along lol
What thickness would be good enough of styrene im assuming? Ive seen articles in the past about this but that was soooo long ago lol

I have to wonder if the Life-like Proto 1000 R17, or R21-22 cars might work, with some mods?

I would think that .050 styrene would provide the necessary stiffness and not be too hard to work with. Just measure the inside diameters of the car and cut the styrene to fit. Use Zap or some other gap filling CA glue to hold it in place.

Back