Rico's wee adventure

Thanx!
Yeah it’s much smaller than I’m used to working with too but so far my fingers haven’t killed anything yet. 😝
The biggest reason for this build is to more or less replicate some scenes I used to pass thru and run some long trains.
I won’t be doing much switching so shouldn’t have to handle the rolling stock all that often.
Happy thanksgiving to you and everyone else too! 🍗

Okay update time.
I put down some more pieces of foam and mocked up the bridges. This scene is loosley based on a section I worked on out west years back. I often get the foam free if a forklift has damaged it, I don’t mind if it has tire tracks.
PXL_20230913_184126517.jpeg

I also made up another frame for the next module. It’s pretty minimalistic really but once the plywood is glued and screwed it’s actually pretty robust. I only need two pockets for legs as this one will be supported by the previous one.
I have another scene in mind that I’d like to model on this one, I have to get the track back down now…

PXL_20231018_162549202.jpeg

Okay update time.
I put down some more pieces of foam and mocked up the bridges. This scene is loosley based on a section I worked on out west years back. I often get the foam free if a forklift has damaged it, I don’t mind if it has tire tracks.

I also made up another frame for the next module. It’s pretty minimalistic really but once the plywood is glued and screwed it’s actually pretty robust. I only need two pockets for legs as this one will be supported by the previous one.
I have another scene in mind that I’d like to model on this one, I have to get the track back down now…
This has potential to snowball out of control! 🤣

All kidding aside, your making great progress Thanks for the updates.

So after playing around with SCARM and digging thru my “workin' on the railroad” pictures I came up with a simple track plan that includes a scene I wanted to model.
It’s a 4” rise to get to where I left off on the first section and as it happens the Woodland Scenic three percent inclines rise 4-1/2” in twelve feet. Just right for a six foot module and the double track fits very well.
I’ll build up the terrain with more styrofoam bits.

PXL_20231118_152028830.jpeg

Something I’m considering is to use the one and only spur as a team track to increase the variety of cars I can switch. If, and most likely when, I do up a middle section it will have industries and a small yard.

Funny how a simple loop of track quickly became a whole other project… it may be too late for me, save yourselves!

I haven’t had time to do much more but I did discover that to separate the two sections I’d have to “bend“ the track pieces to disconnect them. Won’t be able do that once the track has been secured so I cut the locking tabs on one side to let the track slide apart when the time comes. Glad I thought of this now!

PXL_20231202_231859761.jpeg

I picked up some Kato bridge piers the other day, I like how they lock into the bottom of the bridges.
Of course they’re a bit short for my needs so I cut and pasted two together for this scene.
This one will get a little more puttying and sanding done then more faded concrete paint.
I like the rough concrete palling effect you can get with this.

PXL_20231205_235754759.NIGHT.jpeg

Another update.
I've been reworking the HO layout quite extensively so progress on this one is lagging behind a bit.
I picked up some more styrofoam bits from a nearby construction site and started on the terrain.
The incline was covered with plaster cloth and sealed for now with a nice ugly brown color. (free paint)
I'll be using the Kato switch controllers for the three main turnouts (the spur will be manual) so I built them into the scenery. They are powered by a nine volt battery and perform very well.
So far so good! Maybe I’ll get a video up over Xmas, next big job is to clean this mess up! 😆

PXL_20231122_230909698.jpeg

Back