The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

Smudge If Dave sends you that crane he has I also have this one since I have a box getting ready to go over that big pond to you anyway

Also just wondering I know you have plenty of engines (as do I) but what is your rolling stock 40' or some 50' cars or maybe passenger Just being nosy anyway here's what I have for a background type of use The bigger one is Athearn the smaller ones not sure
A bucyrus erie 150ton steam crane (circa1926??), don't see many of them around, it looks like a Bachmann or maybe Roco, very nice, and a Athearn jib crane, two very nice pieces of kit, it looks like you've had them a while, if you no longer want it I'd be more than happy to give it a new home, it would look great with the tie crane.

Rolling stock I've collected what ever I could find, some were NIB but mostly their all used.
I have 2X50'flat cars, 1X50' tank car, 1X30'?? tank car, 4X 40' box cars, 4X2 bay hoppers, 6X3 bay hoppers and 3X50' box cars all mainly NP with a few UP mixed in, Oh! and 1 Chicago and Northwestern caboose :D

Passenger cars are all UP, 4X60' Riverossi, which I still need to fit the Kadee 138? couplings to, and 4X81' I can't remember who their from.

Annoyingly I didn't realise they don't come with interiors, so I've never run any of them, all my passenger cars are lit, and they just don't look right to me without an interior, I'll probably blank the windows out with some material till I can find something suitable.

Last edited:
Talking about Cranes and stuff, realised that I need some workmen to actually do the work, so I found these fellas just standing around, should be here later this week.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

Way too slow for me that one….I will probably buy one of the wood kits and keep it manual
Gary did you find a wood kit turntable yet If not I have this one I was going to use an old atlas turntable base for it never did Got a walthers one instead let me know it's real cheap It's not quit 17"

Attachments

• DSC_0442.JPG
    DSC_0442.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0443.JPG
    DSC_0443.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0444.JPG
    DSC_0444.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 60
Did you get that Tera Warehouse kit and is it built yet If not get to it cause here's the workmen for it They are in the box coming your way soon
Oh! wow! thank you, definitely not expecting that, again thank you, but no, sorry, I ended up with the Machine shop, (and that's still in it's box), the Tera Warehouse is over a £100.00 here, so I decided against it in the end, plus it just had too big a footprint, but I do have the double story goods shed, so they definitely have a home

Last edited:
Managed to get a bit more done

TO signals connected up and checked, fitted a backdrop, it's only stuck with blackTak, so easy to change if I don't like the look, unfortunately I tore the thing, so If I like it I'll have get another one.:( But I do have two others, so......?
Added some trees, I need some more I think, but don't have any at the moment.

20221001_190507.jpg
20221001_195148.jpg

20221001_195222.jpg

Gary did you find a wood kit turntable yet If not I have this one I was going to use an old atlas turntable base for it never did Got a walthers one instead let me know it's real cheap It's not quit 17"
Good morning Mike,
I haven’t been on much, clearing trees in the back yard still and running my wife shopping for a wedding dress for next weekend. I have not purchased a turntable yet. I have my train station arriving this week though that was 3d printed. I will PM you For the details.

Smudge,

The background and layout looks awesome !

Last edited:
Good morning Mike,
I haven’t been on much, clearing trees in the back yard still and running my wife shopping for a wedding dress for next weekend. I have not purchased a turntable yet. I have my train station arriving this week though that was 3d printed. I will PM you For the details.

Smudge,

The background and layout looks awesome !
Thank You, more or less finished one half of the layout, still needs a little tweaking, but awaiting some surprises.

I can't decide whether or not to add another signal box, the one I have can control the mainline, but is blind to the stub lines, I can either change the signal box to this one with 360 visibility.

Or add this one to control the run into the stubs and the stubs themselves?

What do you think ?

Not squally looking outside my own thread or the coffee shop I rarely look at much, but just noticed this,atm I have just skipped from start to finish.
My first pointer was going to be sort your background because reaching over afterwards s a total killer, talking of which ALWAYS leave a spot you can put a hand down in case you ever have to lean forward to do repairs etc. But back to scenery, I like the photographic type, but I see you have a join,and wonder how you stuck it down because I personal would be tempted to not go into a corner at 90 degrees but add some cardboard and make a curve the buildings are not then at strange angles which in the future will fxxk any photographs….if it is one hundred percent stuck down then I apologise for my late call, if it is not then I would be tempted to gently pull off and work the right hand with the building around a curve and overlap the short left piece…I am thinking you are going to want to slap me about now…..runs….

sneaks back in….on another note I like the track plan :) well thought out lots of options, never ever say a 4x8 need be boring. At present the green is a bot flat in colour, but the good news is you are not yet in a position to do it, and the ground work is fine…..scared you :D but when you have most of the green in place remind me and I’ll give you some of my thoughts for use or rejection.

sneaks back in….on another note I like the track plan :) well thought out lots of options, never ever say a 4x8 need be boring. At present the green is a bot flat in colour, but the good news is you are not yet in a position to do it, and the ground work is fine…..scared you :D but when you have most of the green in place remind me and I’ll give you some of my thoughts for use or rejection.
The backscene is temp stuck down with black tak, so altering it isn't a problem, I'm looking at changing the backdrop anyway as there's a tear in it, I quite like these as they are 2ft in height and roughly 2×5 ft in length.

I've some ideas to take the flatness out the layout, but as the stub end would usually be quite flat, that end will be minimal.

Industrial end, for the moment,(subject to management approval and available space) will consist of the machine shop structure, construction site, with crane and perhaps a second 2 storey goods shed, (if I can get a third line in), so lots of opportunities there, also a berm running around on the interior of the track with relevant fencing/walls access road etc.

Ground cover will be a mixture of grass,grassy hillocks, gravel, large rocks, earth, sand, and (maybe)concrete slabs,

Last edited:
The backscene is temp stuck down with black tak, so altering it isn't a problem, I'm looking at changing the backdrop anyway as there's a tear in it, I quite like these as they are 2ft in height and roughly 2×5 ft in length.

I've some ideas to take the flatness out the layout, but as the stub end would usually be quite flat, that end will be minimal.

Industrial end, for the moment,(subject to management approval and available space) will consist of the machine shop structure, construction site, with crane and perhaps a second 2 storey goods shed, (if I can get a third line in), so lots of opportunities there, also a berm running around on the interior of the track with relevant fencing/walls access road etc.

Ground cover will be a mixture of grass,grassy hillocks, gravel, large rocks, earth, sand, and (maybe)concrete slabs,
I like the backscene but looking at them actually infers you are on flat land, so contouring could be unnecessary, I am not planning to throw my pictures all over your thread, but I can throw some on mine so you can take a look and if you then want to discuss an aspect we will do it here where it is relevant to the thread.

Back