Returning to the Hobby

Welcome aboard Andrew. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest model railroad forum on the internet. Using your trains from the late 80's - early 90's can be a viable option, mainly the freight cars. If they are from train sets like Tyco, LifeLike or Bachmann, a little effort to convert from truck mounted couplers to body mount Kadee couplers can make them very serviceable. Those engines are generally junk though. If your equipment is from Athearn, Atlas, Walther's or Roundhouse, it is an easier conversion., likewise those engines. However if I was starting over today, I would just start with newer stuff, although there are many older models available on internet sale sites. Going new will entail more $$$. I started back then and I have a mix of both.
I still run DC because I am a lone operator, but if I was just starting today I would use a simple DCC system.

Greetings and Welcome Andrew.

Like Willie, I am also DC only, but I also don't get into the train room as often as I'd like.

Welcome Andrew. Sounds similar to me. Still have my a bunch of 80's stuff. It still works great for me operating with my kids. Starting to dabble with DCC a little. I'll probably end up doing a hybrid as I don't think I'll be able to convert all of my old DC to DCC. Do what works for you. I've upgraded all of my wheels to metal wheels. Keeps the track cleaner and rolls better, almost to good some times.

Welcome aboard Andrew !
toot.gif

Hi I am Andrew from MD I grew up with HO train layouts in the late 80's early 90's I still have those trains. I don't have any exp with DCC not sure if it is worth using the old trains or starting from scratch
I just started up again myself after a 20 year hiatus, went through the same issues…. The vast majority of my collection is also 70s and 80s, went through it all to see what I actually had as far as making a respectable model. Upgrading all wheels and couplers on rolling stock, doing some maintenance on the trucks. My engines were pretty junky, and I had just gotten a new DCC system before I fell out of the hobby, so one used DCC loco with sound for now to get me going. Had a few pieces of flex, now working on getting more. Sticking with code 100 atlas ho since I am loaded with it, awful expensive to replace all those switches. I haven’t even started bench work yet, but man am I super stoked to get this going! lol Hoping this weekend I got some free time to start doing what needs to be done…

Back