Returning To Hobby

OldSteamer

After an extended absence from MRR I am planing a return in N Gauge so that I can see the trains go around again. My plan is a simple double ( Swiss passenger) loop around a large stone pillar ( 32" x 81"). I have learned a couple of track planning programs and settled upon XTrackCAD using KATO Unitrack (especially like the super-elevated curved pieces) just because I could check that the pieces would theoretically fit together. I will try to attach a copy of the plan. The two loops are close to the pillar on three sides (utilizing scratch built bridges and viaducts) and the fourth side is a spare 14" wide to allow for a passenger station bump out from the main lines.
The inner loop will have non-functional catenary for electric locomotives; the outer line will be for steam traffic. My initial mock-ups of catenary using 0.4mm overhead wire look equal to both Sommerfeldt and Mafen and will help to mitigate the cost of implementing those exclusively. Since I am also finalizing plans to incorporate functioning track signals any additional creative solutions to the station track plan would be most welcome. I am not resisting using flex track but prefer the convenience and the look of Unitrack that can be easily enhanced with weathering. That's the dream so far, now I'm all ears.
Swiss-Double-Loop-1.jpg

You might want to think about adding an additional crossover or possible double slips if you want to be able to have trains crossover from one main to the other. The one crossover I see only allows trains to cross from the inside loop to the outside if they are traveling counterclockwise on the inside loop or clockwise on ;the outside.

Flex would allow you to build curves of any radius, but if your running Kato trains on Kato track I wouldn't think that wood be an issue . Its usually only an issue if you start running large steam and long trains .

Thanks GeeTee,
That single crossover actually replaces a double slip from the original plan. Since the electrics are theoretically bound to the catenary equipped inner loop and passenger siding, they will not operate on the outside loop. The crossover allows for the steam engine access to the round table for turning to operate in the opposite direction(and to equalize wear). it also gives the snowplow that will be in a shed at the round table to have access to both loops, in either direction for plowing those Swiss snowdrifts. My other thinking was that a double slip would appear an extravagant investment in track for such a small station/village.
The tightest radius at present is the 13.75" on the inner loop entering and leaving the station area: the remaining are 15" or wider. Another modeler reported that even the Swiss Crocodile would easily negotiate those as it is articulated. And since that's a freight puller, it probably won't appear on this passenger route.

Welcome.

And that's a nice track plan you have! Like to see the layout for real! And I like catenary! I had a Bachmann N scale Amtrak train once with an electric locomotive and Amfleet cars but sadly it got lost in the mail, and I made very fake catenary wires for it using string for the wires and Lego blocks for the supports. I doubt I'll replace it since I'm more into HO scale anyway!

Thanks for the warm welcome,
As planning moves forward I appreciate all and any guidance and advice. In an effort to be as thorough in the early stages and avoid re-dos (it's the scale scratch builder in me) I would welcome insights and direction in the following topics. Even in a simple layout such as this, planning ahead will contribute to a natural look in which the component parts look necessary rather than like a collection of afterthoughts.

What about:

Photo etch N-Scale soldering; in particular brass structural shapes combined with photo etch details
Operating track signals; sources/types
Turntable
Structure interior lighting

After an extended absence from MRR I am planing a return in N Gauge so that I can see the trains go around again. My plan is a simple double ( Swiss passenger) loop around a large stone pillar ( 32" x 81"). The two loops are close to the pillar on three sides (utilizing scratch built bridges and viaducts) and the fourth side is a spare 14" wide to allow for a passenger station bump out from the main lines.

Since I am also finalizing plans to incorporate functioning track signals any additional creative solutions to the station track plan would be most welcome. . That's the dream so far, now I'm all ears.
I have to say that I am not familiar with European prototypical track arrangements. Is it common for them to have one line do a hard cross of another to get into a station rather than just crossing over to it? Seems to make the station track pretty short.

Welcome aboard Old Steamer. You have an interesting concept going there. Feel free to ask all of your questions. The only dumb one is the one that you don't ask. ;)

Yes, IH,
The space available indeed has required some imaginative and more Hogwarts like than prototypical track work. But I did see some interesting patterns when stationed in Europe.
I guess my goal statement should have been to watch steam and electric locomotives pulling Era II - III passenger trains over bridges and viaducts in the Swiss Alps, periodically stopping in a smal fictional village. I can not remember having seen a steam locomotive on an electric line; and I thought this way I could have somewhat simultaneous movement. Is there another solution?

Back