Question about Canadian Pacific RR cars and engines

So, I finally am starting to envision my first set up after 30 years, and it is going to be based around a little logging town in Canada that my Boy Scout troop would go to for camping. The rail line that went through there in the 70's and 80's was CPR. Just wondering if any of you have good ideas as to were to get images of cars and engines from this era?

Also, currently, the line is run as a passenger line by Via Rail - the Sudbury to White River train - and the cars are called Budd Cars...has anyone ever seen cars like that available?

Am super excited to get this going. Still in the very early stages....

So, I finally am starting to envision my first set up after 30 years, and it is going to be based around a little logging town in Canada that my Boy Scout troop would go to for camping. The rail line that went through there in the 70's and 80's was CPR. Just wondering if any of you have good ideas as to were to get images of cars and engines from this era?

Also, currently, the line is run as a passenger line by Via Rail - the Sudbury to White River train - and the cars are called Budd Cars...has anyone ever seen cars like that available?

Am super excited to get this going. Still in the very early stages....

I model the 70's and it's all CP. I bought my RDC from Otter Valley in Ontario. My RDC is burgundy, there are red ones and there are 3 types also.

1970s-80s is a pretty neat era. The 1970s was a colourful era of mergers and new corporate images - Burlington Northern merged a bunch of northwest US roads in 1970, Conrail merged a bunch of things in the US northeast in 1976. Canadian Pacific updated their image to the "MultiMark" in fall of 1968 with a bright new colour scheme, and Canadian National had previously updated their image to the modern logo in 1961. VIA Rail was created in 1977 to take over CN's passenger operations and also took over CP's passenger trains in 1979.

A bit of self promotion maybe, but this is a pretty good source for freight car photos for CP:

For CP engines you can't do better than http://mountainrailway.com/ and http://trainweb.org/galt-stn/cproster/topindex.htm

Years ago Like-Life/Proto1000 made some models of RDC-1/2/3 and much more recently Rapido Trains made highly detailed versions with different RR-specific details.

The White River train typically runs with an RDC-2 and an RDC-4, unfortunately no one currently makes a plastic RDC-4, so you might have to resort to a pair of RDC-2s or something for now.

that is a ton of great stuff cv_acr!!! I am even more excited to get this project going!!

and you are right, the 70's did seem to be a cool era for trains. I live in Central Ohio, and I remember seeing the change over with Conrail in real life as we lived 0.5 miles from one of the busy train routes through C-bus, and my friends and I would go up and watch trains. I fell in love with the Chessie Cat in those. days, and remember seeing those big yellow, blue and red engines go by...then they sort of dwindled and it was the big blue Conrail engines.

On my first couple trips up to Biscoatasing, we would take the train from Sudbury...loaded with all 30 of us and our camping gear. Those were the most magical train rides of my life!!! We eventually would drive in as the train thing got less practical for us, but I would still sit and watch for those trains to roll through town when we were loading up the canoes...

and I might be "directly influencing" a lot of my imagery from your Waterloo layouts...so don't tell the copyright people ;)

Back