Prototype kitbashed hoppers

NVSrr1500

Let’s wander into the realm of real world kitbashes. In the cement district in the northeast us, railroads took older boxcars, put coal hopper doors on the bottom and hatches on the roof. Early covered hoppers. I needed up with a bunch of early hatch detail pieces that would work for something similar. So I went looking to see what odd ball conversations were out there other than the cement district version. Bing and google proved useless as usual. I know there are others. Who had them? What specifically did they call them. knowing that might help the search. In the mood to build a thing and that is a good candidate since I got random detail parts.
shane

The RDG took 2-8-0's (the old Bachmann 2-8-0 I-10sa) and converted them into 4-8-4's (T-1). They took 2-8-8-2's and made 2-8-8-0's. They took 2-8-8-2's and converted them to 2-10-2's. They took 4-2-2's and made them into 4-4-0's. 4-4-4's were converted to 4-4-2's. 2-8-0's became both 0-8-0 and 0-6-0's. Regular engines were converted to camelbacks and camelbacks to regular engines.
The RDG converted twin hoppers to covered hoppers (class LOa) and boxcars to covered hoppers for hauling cocoa beans to Hershey, PA.
They took 40 ft boxcars and made them into 50 ft boxcars for both the RDG and other roads. USRA 46 ft gons were cut down to make low side gons/flatcars for hauling Golden Gate Bridge sections from Pennsylvania to California.
The UP took ex-MP 50 ft boxcars and made them into stock cars (HOGX cars).

Back