Proto 2000 engine dissapointement.

NIevo

Well I recently purchased 2 NIB Proto 2000 GP38-2's off eBay for $90 shipped for both. I just got them today and while I am extremely impressed with the overall level of detail for a plastic model I am alittle disappointed in a few things.

First of all I thought that all Proto 2000 engines came with cab interiors? Others Ive looked at including GP38's say they have a detailed cab interior and crew?

Also, I went to look up the UP model's prototype online to see what model specific details I should add and realized that UP #2040 is a GP60!!!!! Why would a company producing I higher end model like this put the wrong numbers on it?

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a nitpicking whiner :D I was just wondering if someone had some clarification on these things.

Well it appears the engine number has been solved. It was #2040 before 2000 when it was renumbered to engine #540.

Actually Im modeling the late 70's so it turns out the 2040 number is correct. Problem is I can't find any prototype photo's with that number.

I don't think the GP-38's had detailed interiors. I have one and it's just two black plastic crew sitting in two black plastic chairs. :)

Walthers is pretty darn good in their research. I got a GP-7 with DCC and sound and they had it set up to run long hood first. Now, I had never seen any UP engine other than transfer jobs running long hood first. After some research, I found that the first 10 GP-7's delivered in 1953 were set up to run long hood first and did so, but only for about 6 months, when the first order of GP-9's arrived, and all the GP-7's had the control stands converted to run short hood first. Now, I think it's kind of dumb to release a model that ran in one configuration for only six months of its 25 year life instead of what would normally be found but I can't fault Walthers for their research. I was wrong and they were right on the money.

Well any interior is better then seeing a bright light radiating from the cab. I can always paint it if its there but theres nothing. Might call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I just recently got a Proto2000 SW8 switcher. Considering the price to detail ratio it is a pretty good deal, but IMO Life Like plays it up a bit too much in the writeup on the box - makes it sound like the be-all-end-all of engine detail and quality. The plastic drivetrain is an example - I'd take a 30 year old Athearn drive anyday. On the other hand, DANG it can crawl slow!

Also I found a bit of treaking and lube in the drivetrain (along with a nice long break-in in both directions) did wonders for the smoothness and quietness of the drivetrain.

As for interiors, this engine had the same setup as Jim's one. The Proto1000 Erie Builts have no interior.

Mark

Mrk , Just wondering how the railing was on your switcher ? I had to write Walthers and get some replacements because some of the railing was warped .

Back