Problems with Athearn commuter cars

nof

Hi!

I got ten Athearn Bombardier Commuter cars a couple of weeks ago. It was the new versions with McHenry couplers. I run them on Atlas code 55 rail and turnouts.

I have several problems with the cars some of them I have tried to correct.

• Wheels was to narrow according to NMRA gauge. cars derailed in the turnouts.

• The couplers are not at the correct height. They uncouple especially when passing a turnout.

• The couplers are not aligned well enough so they couple easy. I think this depends on to much play between the truck frame and the wheel set.

• The don't roll easy. One SD70 hardly manage to pull three cars in 2% grade. They don't roll down the 2% grade slope by themselves.
Anyone had the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
The rolling issue has always been an issue with these cars because of the design. I've made them a little better by making sure the axle is as close to being polished as you can and make sure the part of the truck that the wheels run in is cleaned out of any kind of molding or plastic. Finally I use some graphite grease put a little in the truck and then roll the axles in them to varnish and this helps. It still won't roll as well as a standard truck/axle but does help. Now the couplers I couldn't tell you as the one's I have are the original release with the MTL couplers installed from the factory and haven't had any issues with them.

Back