Power Poles

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I know power poles are 30' tall, at least they are where I am from however, am not so sure about the "cross bar".

Can some tell me how long they should be, I am thinking 6' (real measurement) but that seems too short in N Scale terms - if that makes sense. I actually cut some 1" long and they "look right" BUT a 13' cross arm/bar brace?? I doubt it

I know power poles are 30' tall, at least they are where I am from however, am not so sure about the "cross bar".

Can some tell me how long they should be, I am thinking 6' (real measurement) but that seems too short in N Scale terms - if that makes sense. I actually cut some 1" long and they "look right" BUT a 13' cross arm/bar brace?? I doubt it
Think 10' would be about right for the cross member.

“Average” pole length is 40’ with 6’ in the ground but can be longer where clearances dictate. Commonly spaced 125’ apart, they can be up to 300’ in rural areas.
Cross arms are typically 8’ to 10’ as required but can be as short as 4’ when poles are closer together and wire swing is minimal. Generally the farther apart the poles are the longer the cross arm needs to be.
I just go by what looks right but planting them a little closer is a trick to make the distance appear a little longer.
My $.02

In so far as height goes - Aussie poles were 30' above ground level. 90% of Australia's power lines (in suburbia and cities anyway) are now all under ground and have been for years, actually, decades to be honest :) Power lines are still above ground in rural areas though, so far as I know.

@VTRailway

The poles themselves are small 3 1/2" bamboo skewers. The cross arms are 1/16th basswood strip and the wires I am in two minds about at the moment.

For the lines I have a reel of "Heavy Charcoal/Black EZ-Line" which is VERY stretchy and close to scale BUT is difficult to see when strung up, OR, twisting a length of "Grey/Silver Cotton Thread" together which is a bit thicker but more visible.

Back