plastic cement

Faller Super Expert plastic cement has a long very thin tube(too small to put a needle in it.) It worked great for several days, but now it is blocked, nothing will come out through it. Holding it under hot water won't unstop it. Any suggestions??????:mad:

dip it in a suitable solvent. MEK, Lacquer thinner, or whatever will dissolve the blockage.

Also, think about using plastic cement that comes in a bottle with a brush. It's much easier to control where the cement goes with a brush, you can apply thinner and less noticeable coats, and the glue container never gets stopped up.

With a bottle like that, you have to be ready to push a fine wire down the tube. A wire that matches the diameter closely is best.

I think this action is called "styletting".

I've replaced the plastic tube on my Testors cement bottle with a Teflon one, and I use a nipped end of a metal handrail to "cap" the bottle between use.

Clearing Faller Cement Needle Applicators

In addition to dipping the tip in solvent, try a lighted match under the tip for a few seconds. Alternatively, a fine wire (such as those used by 1/35th scale armor modelers to assemble workable metal tracks for tanks) works quite well. Feed the wire into the shaft about 1/8" at a time, slowly, such that you don;t kink the wire. Eventually it will pass all of the way through and clear the plug.

Tip for not getting the shaft applicator clogged: Frequently clear out the inside of the plastic cap of dried adhesive that gets pushed into the tip when the cap is placed back on the bottle. Also, if you drag the applicator tip along a seam to apply cement, make sure that you clean the tip of any residue as that will form a plug as well.

Don't give up on this fabulous adhesive, which is a lot easier to apply accurately than any liquid with a brush!

Back