PECO turnouts picking the points

The PECO turnouts are far better than the Atlas ones but I am starting to see several Bachmann sream engines derailing at the points and frogs. The Bachmann engine front trucks and tender trucks seem to be particularly sensitive.

DMK.

The PECO turnouts are far better than the Atlas ones but I am starting to see several Bachmann sream engines derailing at the points and frogs. The Bachmann engine front trucks and tender trucks seem to be particularly sensitive.

DMK.
Are these older Bachmann loco's that are doing this ?

If nothing else your running does this, check the wheel gauge on the affected loco's.
Absolutely. In N-scale, Bachmann locos and rolling stock are far more likely to have out-of-gauge wheel sets than other brands. This is most likely so they will perform better on Bachmann's own track, which is also out-of-gauge (too narrow for starters, and their turnouts have looser tolerances than other brands). Once again, I'm talking N-scale, as I don't know if track/wheel gauge is any problem with their HO-scale trains and track.

I highly recommend all N-scalers get an NMRA Standards Gauge and keep it handy at the workbench. A lot of derailing problems are directly tied in to improper wheel set and/or track gauges.

Sometimes just adding a little weight to the leading trucks can help.
I have done this this to a couple of Broadway Limited steam locos.
John.....
Yes, but Bachmann are notorious for having no space inside the locomotive body, I've several OO scale Steamer's from them, had to chop chunks out the chassis weight just to get a decoder installed, (pre-DCC ready), now I just won't touch a Bachmann Loco of any scale.
Chris...

Last edited:
Can I assume that the only engines that don't play with the turnouts are bachmann engines? If so then the answer is simple, don't mess with the turnout as (chances are) there is nothing wrong with them - loose the cheap and nasty bachmann stuff. Like @Smudge617, and a great many others, I wont touch anything bachmann.

On the other hand, if all brands of engine have the same issue then give what @Smudge617 suggested a try.

Back