Peco Small Radius Turnouts

Rigby

I'm about to order some peco turnouts to experiment with. up to now I've been using Atlas Code 55 but I like the self-latching feature on the pecos. My question is what will track through the peco small radius happily. Will I get away with putting 6 axle diesels through them on the way to the yard?

Which Peco turnouts specifically?

"6 axle diesels" and "small radius" on the same layout really should be mutually exclusive to one another.

I had one years ago (it's been so long I don't remember specifics) and the radius was so tight it was only suitable for short equipment. I got rid of it. I didn't see a point in having a turnout I couldn't even shunt modern era freight cars through without worrying about them derailing.

Peco code 55 "small radius" claims to be a #4 with a nominal radius of 12". They're the guys I'm wondering about. Mainline switches will be broader but can I get a 6 axle unit through? how about a modern tanker?

I would no less than #6!!!!!!!!! #6 i believe is a 18" radius! most if not all n scale equipment will go through that, 12" is tight for 6 axle locos and steam!

with 6 axel diesels 18" is the absolute min radus for curves. with switches it is a rule of thumb that even if the switch has the min radius that will allow larger locos to run thru it would be a smart idea to go one number higher to reduce the chance of derails. number 4 or 4.5 would be for tight yard and spur tracks #6 is better suited for mainlines
http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp-11.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Rigby, the Peco small radius turnouts will probably be OK in a yard but you seem to be asking about using them on trackage leading to a yard. They really would be too sharp for six axle locomotives coming off a mainline and headed to a yard. If the small radius switches are being used as part of yard ladder, it may work if laid perfectly because of the low speed operation but I'd only use them if I had no other choice and had to run six axle power.

Back