Palm Springs - Living Desert G Scale Pt1

TOSSpilot

I was visiting the Palm Springs Living Desert today and was suprised to find that they have a large G scale exhibit. I heard a comment that they have a half mile of track. I will attach some more pictures on a second thread.

Craig

Nice pictures Craig! Just as a side note, don't start a 2nd thread for more pictures, just click "reply".

They certainly have an odd collection of scenery including Mt. Rushmore, which would seem to be quite tangental a desert history museum. :)

It seems that the point of the railroad is to attract young visitors to the park (and a few older ones too). The scenes include the the Grand Canyon with a depot at Williams and the hotel at the rim. Other operations included mining and lumber.

In general, it is very entertaining for the regular visitor and my 3 year old was glued to the fence for over an hour.

Nice surprise in addition to the cactus and bighorn sheep. Actually, they have quite a few more animals now including Giraffe, Zebras, Hyena, snake, camel, some cats and many others. Worth visiting if you are going to Palm Springs.

Now, even more pressure to get something working at home.

Craig.

:eek: WOW!:eek: in that 3rd picture, the trestle bridges look to be massive. Is that lower one a 2 track span? That sure is alot of popcicle sticks.:p

Those are some impressive trestles. I'd sure like to talk to operators and find out how the 120 degree heat affects both the track and equipment. We talk about catering for track expansion and contraction a lot but the expansion/contraction problems on a G scale railroad there must be a real issue.

Pretty cool stuff. It looks like they had quite a budget to build something of this size. I wonder about the telegraph poles that go across the trestle in the next to last picture. It looks like those are real wires and not just for show. I wonder if that's true?

WOW A Mount Rushmore, Amazing trestles, an Ancient Village, truly outstanding work. I can't imagine building a layout outside in the elements & all.

Back