Painting questions

L&NFan

Old Reliable
Ok I am planning on buying an unpainted RS3 tomorrow and painting it up with the L&N mid 50s black or dark blue and buff pattern. For the time being I plan on using hobby spray paint until I get the airbrush set up when I get back from Iraq. My questions are about the prep work. Do I need to primer the parts? And once I've applied the decals what do I need to finish it with. Any pointers on the process will be appreciated. This will be my first foray into train painting.

L&N Fan,

There are many different ways to go about painting and decaling engines, cars, etc. I think we all have our favorite way of doing things, so I can only pass along my way with my humble 2 cents.

Depends on the shell color, if it's black, I like to primer it a light gray. If the shell is gray, i don't primer it.

First thing I do is wash the engine with regular dish soap and warm water, let it dry over night.

If your going to use a spray can, spray lightly and a good distance away so you don't get any runs or paint splotches.
If you use a gloss paint, once that is dry, your ready to decal.

Once you've applied your decals, you need to decide what finish you want (glossy or flat finish). Depending on what you want it to look like once it's completed, either apply gloss coat or dull coat.

I do it pretty much the same way as Jerome with a few differences. I like to primer everything with light gray because it helps me see any imperfections in the shell I need fix before I apply the color coat. Washing the shell is really important to get rid of grease and mold release compound.

Spray any lighter color first and them the darker color. Leave it dry until you can no longer smell any paint odor on the surface - this could take up to three days. If you did it in Iraq, it would probably take about three minutes. :) Humidity and temperature are the big factors.

Once the shell is completely dry, I then spray a coat of glosscote since I find the helps the decals slide on easier. Use distilled water only for decals. This eliminates 99% of the problems with decal film showing through the paint. If you want the engine t look new, give it a coat of Krylon satin clear finish. If it's supposed to look like it's been on the road, a cost of dullcote or Krylon Matte finish will complete the job. Good luck and post some pics when you're done.

Back