Old C415 Loco Reburbishment

regme

Hi

So I have this old loco that's in need some much TLC, my first issue this old motor, it's sparking at the brushes. I have cleaned them and the armature, what would be the cause or is it just coming to the end?

The next issue is getting it going, so the motor works fine apart from the sparking, but when it's all connected she does doesn't want to move.

I have pulled apart the boggies to see if there is a problem, but I couldn't see any broken gears. When I turn the spindle the gears turn freely, however when I turn the gears it doen't turn the spindle. I pulled the wheels off both bogies and connected the bogies to the motor and eveything worked fine, apart from the sparking. When I put the wheels on, it would go for a bit then stop. There are no broken gears on the wheels, where the wheels sit it's a bit loose so I'm nor sure if that's the problem.

The other alternative is to cut my losses and replace it, being over 30yrs old I don't like my chances, but can I replace it all with something more modern. As my modelling is not that great I do not know where to start looking for new bogies and motor that would fit.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_5343w.jpg

This looks like the old AHM loco?
I have one as well, the body fits right onto an Atlas chassis (forget at the moment which one).
I haven’t tried re-motoring it or anything but I’m sure some one here can help with that.

not sure what you mean by the spindle . The shaft at the top of the tower has a worm gear , rotating the wormgear shaft or U joint should cause the wheels to turn, trying to rotate the wheels by hand they should be locked. If the wheels turn at all by hand then the shafts are slipping inside the gears.

Motorwise , if the length of the motor is around 33mm and the shafts are 2mm , I would try replacing with a cheap black can motor , They are 5 pole skewed armature and cost around $2 , if you order Speed Pak it takes about 2 weeks , if you need a vendor I have one that I use on ebay , and he usually gets it out with 24 hrs , so the last batch I ordered took around 14 days by Speed Pak.

Dont order thru free China Post , that batch took 90 days.

The only other issue I see is you only have 1 set of pickups on each truck .

Hi

The loco is a Mehanotehnika C415.

Sorry, spindle I didn't know the right word, but yes when I rotate the U joint what you said happens. So at least that that part is ok.

I'll measure that, I did try to order a cheap motor of ebay but when I tried it, it would knock at low speeds, then once it got to full power it was ok.

If you could pass on the vendor that would be great.

Cheers

Hi

The loco is a Mehanotehnika C415.

Sorry, spindle I didn't know the right word, but yes when I rotate the U joint what you said happens. So at least that that part is ok.

I'll measure that, I did try to order a cheap motor of ebay but when I tried it, it would knock at low speeds, then once it got to full power it was ok.

If you could pass on the vendor that would be great.

Cheers

I checked my last order in was June 24 and I recieved them on July 17 so it looks like about 21 days on Speed Pak ,
current price is $3.50 , He also has some 130s but their probably going to be 3 pole .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If its knocking in the unit on the track , thats probably because of oxidation of the wheels and wipers , when they been sitting around its best to power the motor directly from the pack and let run for 5 or 10 minutes. Clean the wheels and the track with isopropyl alcohol .

With only 4 wheel pickup (2 on the front and 2 on the back) and no flywheels , You have to keep things really clean to keep them from dancing the Herky Jerky.

Rico : Atlas S4 might work , The S4(46 overall 30'6 wheelbase) and C415 (44 and 30 ) have similar dimensions. It all depends on how bad you want a 415 , me I'd rather have the S4 .

Thanks I'll check those out. I guess this is the loco I'm trying to bring back to life. I would really like to see if I can do it.

Those pics help what model motor is that and are those the orginal bogies or are they after market?

Is that a Walthers model?

Back