Old Bachmann repairs?

Well, the loco came in the mail today, only it was not a 2-6-0. Instead it was a 2-6-2 Prairie, lettered for Rock Island. Boy, this new one (made in China) is not nearly as detailed as my old Mikado. Most details are molded on rather than added on as separate pieces. It runs well though. No DCC--I didn't have that on my old one either. The front coupler is a molded one that will be hard to replace with a Kadee, and the rear one is a horn hook (like my Mikado also was). I've been in the process of changing them all over to Kadees. If anyone knows just the right Kadees or other brand to use, let me know. All in all, it took about 44 days from the time I mailed the old one to get a replacement. BTW, we're having a doozy of a snowstorm today and tomorrow--total to be about 9" here in Des Moines.

Good to hear that you got your replacement. :) Of course, you'll need to get the pictures up. :D

I've been watching the radar too, looks like most of it might miss us....maybe. I'm in Waterloo BTW.

New Bachmann 2-6-2

Well, here's the new Prairie lettered for the Rock Island Line. I hope this photo comes out OK. I managed to get a #5 Kadee on the rear of the tender so far. Thanks to all who helped or were interested in what happened. This is a great forum and all you folks are very helpful.
Jim

I think the only difference between the 2-6-2 Prarie, and the 2-6-0 mogul is the trailing truck.

They show the 2-6-0 in RI livery.

If you really wanted a 2-6-0, just remove the rear truck.

Now I wonder if I want to send my 2-8-2's to them, since they don't show that model in Great Northern paint. I might just send them the chassis, and keep the bodies.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem flexible. Call them and see about repairing the chassis. I kind of like the Prairie. I just don't know if it is prototypical, i.e., if the Rock Island had any 2-6-2s.

... I kind of like the Prairie. I just don't know if it is prototypical, i.e., if the Rock Island had any 2-6-2s.

FWIW...I searched for about an hour, and can find no reference to a CRI&P 2-6-2 Prarie other than the Bachmann models.

Most of the pics I found of The Rock's locos showed 4 wheel lead trucks.

I can't find a CRI&P roster to know for sure, though.

Rotor

I kind of thought so. Maybe I'll just go ahead and remove that trailing truck. BTW, I dig your animated rotor motor avitar. The loco is a good runner BTW. I hooked her up to about 8 cars and she pulled real well with very little amperage. She just doesn't look all that great. I'm going to try and dress her up a bit and tone down the shine with a little weathering. She runs way better than some old Mantuas I have with the worm gears.

Back