Not sure what to call it question

NVSrr1500

So, As I said in the intro I did, I am recovering from a stroke issue. I had to start rethinking the layout. The issue, if I get the sudden hit again and medical personnel have to come in. the current layout has narrower isle (track plan below for the curious) So my thought was wider else easier access. maybe a smaller layout all around. Many track plans later (which prompted me to think doing a track plan book). Everything Had been larger than I had hoped. Have yet to get the inspiration to figure out a smaller design. Everything is just way larger than I wanted, just by designing in everything to to fit, causes it. Despite decreasing everything a lot. Mostly he problem is no real inspiration for a layout. More like I was forcing it. When I have inspiration, a layout just appears with ease and well within confines for me. I wasn't crazy about completely starting over either. For reference, 10 x 21 is the available space and I wasn't looking to build to the full space for access reasons.

I realized only two weeks ago about modifying the one I have. It is built modular. It did move to the s location, and expand. It is scenic covered but no detail or weathering and such. Since I never thought of that, I am currently tinkering with possible changes which would be easier to do on thie current one since it is modular. Instead of a total new build. I am just starting on the tinkering though.

Quick note, the access is for attic access. For those that want the door position, it is under the ruler where the purple centerline of the building meets the ruler.
I had to crop the image because of pixel size. The window location is still visible

The question is, has anybody else delt with a similar health issue forcing changes like this? reconsider size of isles and such. Or other such needed changes?
IMG_0315.jpg

Shane

Last edited:
The easiest way to open up the plan to me would be removing the locomotive facility and utility pole area. Then the center would remain open enough for extra people. Add on to ethanol plant area roughly 10 inches. What height would the layout be at?

I am looking at pulling out the loco facility. Moving it to a lower level sort of thing. same with the yard. layout sits at 48 inches, but I am toying with lowering the layout to 44 or 42.

Is there a possibility of raising deck to 50” or so, have a lower deck at 32” or so? Can thin out a little for extra space and just spread the train joy to 2 levels maybe…. Or lower deck at 40” and upper at 58”? Basically removing the wyes looks like it had to be done…

False first assumption, methinks. If a couple of EMT's come in to get you because of a health emergency, they'll just bust through the benchwork after giving it a casual glance. And unless they determine you are suffering something like a spinal injury which might paralyze you, they will go in and drag you bodily out. As if you were on a battlefield.

What they won't try to do is wrestle a gurney through the door. It'll be instantly obvious that would be a complication, rather than a requirement. So one will go in, climb over you and take you by the shoulders...or feet...depending on which way you fall. Then the other guy grabs you and they carry you through the door, onto the gurney and out.

Is there a possibility of raising deck to 50” or so, have a lower deck at 32” or so? Can thin out a little for extra space and just spread the train joy to 2 levels maybe…. Or lower deck at 40” and upper at 58”? Basically removing the wyes looks like it had to be done…
It actually a giant figure 8. Those were things aren’t wyes. Tracks at two different elevations. Due to the roof, can’t lift it higher without scrapping a lot of scenery and track changes along the Acme side Making it lower will allow me to push it against the wall. A gain of 18 inches in the isle from the door.

False first assumption, methinks. If a couple of EMT's come in to get you because of a health emergency, they'll just bust through the benchwork after giving it a casual glance. And unless they determine you are suffering something like a spinal injury which might paralyze you, they will go in and drag you bodily out. As if you were on a battlefield.

What they won't try to do is wrestle a gurney through the door. It'll be instantly obvious that would be a complication, rather than a requirement. So one will go in, climb over you and take you by the shoulders...or feet...depending on which way you fall. Then the other guy grabs you and they carry you through the door, onto the gurney and out.
The emt have already pulled my —- oit of the house with the same tight space problem. Couldnt get the gurney upstairs or in the house. It sat outside. So in this building, it would most likely sit on the poarch or there is room to bring it in.

busting through it. Take way too long. I do heavy infrastructure engineering. So when I did the bench work, I just went with the no brained option. And just built to what I am familiar with in the large bridges I am used to. Result bench work you can walk on. In a 14 x14 size that only 6 sets of legs. All those sections almost completely self supports with some having no support at all. Just bolted to the next section. Doesn’t need the support. Highly stable. Not something you can break apart easily.

Sorry to hear you had one but glad you’re recovering from it.
In that space I think I’d go around the walls with a loop at one end to gain elevation.
Im still building my current layout but already planning the next, much simpler one.

Well shoot bud, my bad, a novice to begin with, and I misunderstood the dimensions you were working with…. I built in an attic once, slanted walls really limits what you can do. For me it’s hard to picture what you got going on without seeing it, can you post pics of the layout as it is? I had ideas on how to extend track work, just didn’t get the opportunity to get that far….

Well shoot bud, my bad, a novice to begin with, and I misunderstood the dimensions you were working with…. I built in an attic once, slanted walls really limits what you can do. For me it’s hard to picture what you got going on without seeing it, can you post pics of the layout as it is? I had ideas on how to extend track work, just didn’t get the opportunity to get that far….
I will put up pics this weekend. The one side does have the slanted walls

Back