NoSkills? You betcha!

NoSkills

Nicky new guy here, from central NC. Been a long time modeler, just never got finished with one yet, for one reason or another. (Moving, divorce, et al.)

My last two efforts were the best, one in Chicago, that a loss of job cost me the house and the layout in the basement. Am working (kind of) on another, somewhat smaller, in the present homestead's basement. (26'x14').

Tried to stuff the larger (Chicago) track plan into the present space available...... not exactly what I had in mind in results. Oh well, live and learn. (It was too good a track plan to just let go.)

Found this forum through a guy I trade insults with on another forum. NOW I might have some inspiration to get back to work on it! Been somewhat spotty over the last five years.

I'm an operations freak, so my lack of skills at scenery doesn't upset me too much. (For now, once things are running smoothly again, I start to learn the scenery tricks of the trade..... one of the reasons why this forum just might come in handy for me.)

Modus Operandi of my layout...... It's primarily a Pennsy running East/West between Pittsburg, PA and Columbus, OH, with terminations from the North via NKP and from the South via B&O. Circa 1957, large steam and diesel locos. Three mines, icing facility, bridge traffic, PAX and a few small businesses make up the bulk of the activity in my imaginary small town.

It's mostly board work and tracks at present. Wiring is done (needs some fine tuning). Have LOTS of buildings to get to before I even think of scenery work. (Daunting task...... hope I have enough time left on the planet to get it at least looking somewhat good.) (I'll shoot some pix of it when I get the dust off it to my satisfaction. LOL!)

About me: Retired Marine. Retired civilian. Wife, no kids.... two cats do enough mischief. Perfectly content with things. Just need some inspiration to get me back at RR'ing again. I believe, from what I have seen thus far... that this is the place to get that inspiration.

Glad to be here!

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Don - Welcome to the forum! If it's inspiration you want you've come o the right spot. Check out Showing off to get some idea of what some of our members can do. If you want ideas and advice there's a lot of that around here too. We stay away from the back biting and trash you might have seen elsewhere. We're all here to have fun and if you're not having fun you're not doing it right.

Thanks one and all! Gary: Do you go to those monthly RR shows at (can't remember the name of) fairgrounds? I used to go every month.... rather miss them. Been 14 years out of Chi-town now. Time goes fast when you are having fun, yes?

Don

Don - You mean the Naperville / Dupage County fair grounds show. I go once or twice a year. It's not exactly around the corner to drive to. In the winter the parking lot is a disaster waiting to happen and in the heat of the summer I really don't want to be in with the unbathed basement dwellers in no air conditioning for long. (Not to say everyone's that way, just enough to notice) So I tend to Spring and fall shows. They can be a fun time and always find something interesting. Yeah 14 years can go fast.

Don - You mean the Naperville / Dupage County fair grounds show. I go once or twice a year. It's not exactly around the corner to drive to. In the winter the parking lot is a disaster waiting to happen and in the heat of the summer I really don't want to be in with the unbathed basement dwellers in no air conditioning for long. (Not to say everyone's that way, just enough to notice) So I tend to Spring and fall shows. They can be a fun time and always find something interesting. Yeah 14 years can go fast.

Yep, that be the one!

Agreed on all your points of remorse! LOL! On the other hand, having been there when the stock was there for "show", the funky humans weren't all THAT much worse!

Interesting finds. OH YEAH!

Don

Yes, the show is in Wheaton. They're all in the same direction from where I'm coming from.

Hello Don,

Welcome to the forum- I'm new here myself- I'm returning to model railroading after a 19 year hiatus!

I'm modeling the Palatine - Fox River Grove area- not far from where you used to live in Chicago and I currently live in Belmont County, Ohio; which is smack-dab in the middle of the area you are modeling now!

I thought about modeling this area, but I wanted to return to the "roots of my raising" and model the Palatine area, circa 1970s. (BTW, I'm in N-Scale).

All the best,

Sean C. (C&NW Man)

Back