New Video Section in the Gallery

bob

Administrator
Staff member
MODEL RAILROAD VIDEO GALLERY
I've added a model railroad video section to the gallery. This will be a central location for model railroad videos. They have thumbnail images, so it's quick and easy to preview them at a glance and choose what you'd like to watch.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
Videos are done by "embedding" them in the media gallery. You won't upload them here, you'll post on YouTube (primarily) or any one of these other streaming services : Flickr, Giphy, Imgur, Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube and more.
The video will remain wherever you uploaded it. The Media Gallery is essentially just a fancy link to your media. That also means that all of the hits, (impressions), and revenue (if applicable) will accrue directly on the hosting service that you choose to use. That means that if you post something on YouTube and share it here in the media gallery, it will drive hits to your YouTube account.

SHARING VIDEOS BY OTHERS - WHAT ABOUT COPYRIGHTS?
Unlike uploading a photo, where you must have permission to do so, you can Embed videos from any creator.
Embedding is an authorized way to share videos from YouTube etc. As noted above, it remains on YouTube and isn't hosted here. The creator maintains full control of the video. If they delete it on YouTube, it vanishes from here. They also get all of the hits and revenue. That means you can share any videos you'd like, not just ones you have created. It's no different than when you put a YouTube link in a discussion. Since it's essentially just a link, and the creator is in full control and gets full credit for the video, and the video is not uploaded here, but remains on the original hosting service, that respects all copyrights.

I am working on copying all of the videos that were previously shared in the forums over to the gallery. Once that's done, the video section will be migrated to the media gallery. It's much easier to quickly look over a selection of thumbnails and select an image. It also means that when you share a video, it will show up in the "What's New" section, just like photos in the gallery do now.

if i add a youtube video in my building thread, will this also be automatically added to the video gallery like the pictures?
Or is this a separate feed?

thnx for your work. the whole thing sounds btw nice!

cheers
jay

if i add a youtube video in my building thread, will this also be automatically added to the video gallery like the pictures?
Or is this a separate feed?

thnx for your work. the whole thing sounds btw nice!

cheers
jay

No, it doesn't. (Wish it did). It only grabs "attachments", photos that you upload directly to the forum.

Since videos aren't attachments, they don't get copied over.

You'll need to add them to the media gallery directly if you'd like. You should still include them in your thread, so they're shown in proper context. That's not changing.

The good news is that the process is VERY easy and fast. You paste in the YouTube link, and it automatically grabs the video title and description. You can edit if you'd like, or simply click "add" and use what it retrieved.

NOTE: Sharing YouTube videos as part of a discussion will still be allowed and it will work just fine. So you can keep doing that the same way you do now. The only thing that's moving is the forum that was set up specifically for sharing videos. That will still be allowed too, but now you'll do it in the media gallery.

Back