New member, a C,B&Q fan

Burlington Bob

Found this forum recently and think it's GREAT! Been out of the hobby for awhile............DCC was just getting started when I left. Did quite a bit of train watching but nothing on the modeling side. So, needless to say, I've got a LOT of catching up and learning to do and will be counting on help from you guys on occasion. Hope to start a new layout next fall, maybe a little sooner. Will seem like an eternity, but they say good things come to those who wait.

Welcome :)

Will you be modelling CB&Q then? I'm modelling early BN myself, with a bit of CB&Q (and GN) in there for good measure, though I've only got a caboose at this stage.

at355547.jpg

Hello and welcome. Lots of friendly folk here so if there is any questions you may have, feel free to ask.

I'm planning on Burlington. I will have about a 16'x12' space available so a good sized HO or huge N layout. I had an early BN layout in the mid 80's and still have some of my N scale locos and rolling stock. Really impressed by the sound systems with the HO.

If I model in HO, I plan on the mid 1960's in central Illinois. If I go with N, I have toyed with the idea of modeling the Burlington as if the BN merger never occurred, but that finances were very fortunate for the CB&Q. That way I could run modern motive power, but in Chinese red! I think that the Q and the Santa Fe had the best paint schemes of all the railroads.

I grew up on a farm along side the CB&Q when I was young. Whenever I heard a train horn for a crossing about a mile away the race was on! I would run about a 100yds from our house to a crossing on our farm to watch the trains go by. I got to ride the last passenger train from our town to another about 18 miles away for my seventh birthday present. As far as I'm concerned, the sound of a GP9 in run 8 rivals any of the music Bach or Vivaldi wrote. Just your regular, run of the mill train nut!:cool:

BN in N, ay? Got any pics? We loooooooove the pics on this forum. :D If you do go HO and decide to offload your N BN gear, I'll be waiting with my wallet in hand. ;)

Sorry, no pics. Wish I did have some, just didn't seem important at the time. I'll keep you in mind for my rolling stock if I go in HO. Got a buddy here that gets first dibs though.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago My fondest memory is riding the Denver Zephyr when I was like ten (1965?)

Thanks, Gary. Seems like we are about the same age. I rode a train from Bushnell to Chicago when I was in the 5th grade. Package deal that the Burlington ran for schools etc., included all activities in Chicago (museums, McCormick Place, etc.). Really made a big impression on a small town kid and train nut!

I guess we must be. Got to see the end of passenger service at least. My older brother remembers steam locomotives in service and I don't. I took a similar excursion to Madison Wi. on the Milwaukee Road one time with my Mom. Great fun. The Metra used to have a $5 weekend one day pass. A few years ago I took my son to Aurora back to Union Station downtown and out to Elgin and back again. We had a great time riding the rails.

Welcome to the forums! Where at in central IL? I;m in Peoria myself, actually Bartonville, if your that familiar with it.

Thanks Riverrat. Been through Bartonville a lot. Used to work at Komatsu Mining Systems in Peoria and taught welding at Illinois Welding School in Bartonville for a couple of summers. I'm a journeyman Boilermaker out of Local 60 in Morton and live in a small town in southwest Fulton county. It's not the edge of the world, but you can see it from here! No train service anymore.:eek:

Back