New Guy Here...

RIMason32

Hello all,

It has been 15 years since I put away my "o" gauge Lionel set. A lot of things have changed in that time and now I find myself with a 3 year old son who LOVES trains!

I would really like to surprise him small layout for Christmas morning. I was hoping this would be a good place to come with a few questions :)...

First. I need a new locomotive. Can you recommend a good site for buying "o" gauge engines? Most hobby stores have a big mark up. I have found a few online stores but want to see what you recommend.

Secondly, I have a lot of track and switches that are easily 20 years old. What is the best way to clean them up?

Finally, I would like to limit the transformer so that my son can only reach a certain maximum speed and not drive the train off the track repeatedly. I could probably solve this by buying a higher end transformer that may have that sort of adjustment but, I was thinking of throwing a resistor inline between the transformer and the track. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for you help!.
I am off to check out your layouts.

Hello and Welcome.

I'm not a big expert on O Gauge, but I think that you might want to pick up a used engine on eBay. Ask here if the engine you like is worth bidding on.

As for cleaning track, I would start with simple solvents like alcohol and gradually work up to stronger. If it is oxidation you might be able to solve the problem with metal polish. At the very worst, you might have to sand the rails (tops and other contact points) with very fine sand paper.

I've never used a resistor with a transformer, I was thought of a physical stop before I reached the end of the sentence.

Welcome aboard. It's been...oh...about 45 years since I've had a Lionel set so I'm not going to be a fount of information. I use Hobbylinc at http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/u.htm. They have a pretty good selection O scale three-rail products at reasonabe prices.

For tracks, I remember using a combination of alcohol and baking soda to clean them. If they are original Lioned track, they seemed to form a layer of white crud in the web of the rails and that combination seemed to clean them without too much effort save brushing each rail clean with an old toothbrush.

Either using a resistor in-line with the power cord or putting in a physical stop like Chip suggested would work. I'd take of the transformer case off and see how much clearance you have between the top and anything vital inside. If there enough space for a small srcew to use as a stop, that would be the easy way to solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey traveler, when I was a young fellow, my Lionel ran on AC. I think you'd have some issues with heat with any resistance device that was capable of limiting the speed.

If the Lionel train now runs on DC, there are a number of other options. There is a very active group on Trains.com that is deep into O gauge.

You'll be a master before you know it, after all you have an apprentice to teach!

Joe Daddy

as far as the transformer, my grandfather (a Machinest) had (still has) a basement sized american flyer layout (soon the be mine as he must go into a home) when we were disrespectfull little brats, we would run those trains so fast that they would litterally fly off the tracks. so he soldered a piece of angle stock to the top of the transformer and used a double nutted machine screw as a throttle stop so you could only turn it so far.

Thank you all very much for your help. That hobylinc site is great and I think that the physical stop will be the best bet for my transformer.

Oh and go Red Sox! :p

A Traveling man eh?
Welcome back to the hobby. I'm, and a LOT of us here, are in the same boat. Rediscovering our long lost way. Seeking enlightenment by joining in the FellowCraft with others.

Scoot

Hey traveler, when I was a young fellow, my Lionel ran on AC. I think you'd have some issues with heat with any resistance device that was capable of limiting the speed.

If the Lionel train now runs on DC, there are a number of other options. There is a very active group on Trains.com that is deep into O gauge.

You'll be a master before you know it, after all you have an apprentice to teach!

Joe Daddy

A Traveling man eh?
Welcome back to the hobby. I'm, and a LOT of us here, are in the same boat. Rediscovering our long lost way. Seeking enlightenment by joining in the FellowCraft with others.
Scoot

My daughter who is eight is really excited about helping with this project. It looks like I may be initiating more than one apprentice into the craft. So as far as I see it I have two options...
Apply the working tools I learn here or be black balled on Christmas morning ;).

Welcome RIMason32 , Been about 40 years for me and Lionel also so can't help you much either all I have left is some old Lionel track !!!

Back