Need drawings/plans/dimensions for steelmaking

CoolRuehle

I would like to model my RR cover a coking facility, blast furnace, rolling mill, etc, with limestone and ore brought in from "outside" the layout.

I can scratchbuild just about anything . . . I need plans or basic drawings with rough dimensions on the blast furnace to start with. I am trying to calcualte how much real estate is needed for a facility.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

--Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon- About 10 years ago, Dean Freytag wrote a book about the steel industry and used a lot of Plastruct to build his steel mill. The Walthers steel mill kit is based on dean's modeling. I'll get the book title for you tonight if someone else doesn't come up with it in the meantime.
I was fortunate to visit Dean's layout once. His mill and furnaces took up about 10 straight feet of a 30" wide side of the layout. Dean's mill is compressed, but a smaller specialty steel producing mill could easily be represented. You might only model a corner of the mill with furnaces and slab or pouring ladles shown on your layout.
Hope this gives you some thoughts to help guide you.

Jon- About 10 years ago, Dean Freytag wrote a book about the steel industry and used a lot of Plastruct to build his steel mill. The Walthers steel mill kit is based on dean's modeling. I'll get the book title for you tonight if someone else doesn't come up with it in the meantime.
I was fortunate to visit Dean's layout once. His mill and furnaces took up about 10 straight feet of a 30" wide side of the layout. Dean's mill is compressed, but a smaller specialty steel producing mill could easily be represented. You might only model a corner of the mill with furnaces and slab or pouring ladles shown on your layout.
Hope this gives you some thoughts to help guide you.

Thank you for the information . . . that book is out of print. It goes for anywhere between $300 and $400 now on Amazon and ebay! :eek: I would love to just LOOK at one!

120" x 30" ? ? ? Holy red-iron Batman! I have a 9 x 12 max layout size! :) Looks like some compression is in order for me.

I did find a guy in Youngstown, OH that says he has plans for all of this stuff, but I have not heard back from him yet.

--Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to model my RR cover a coking facility, blast furnace, rolling mill, etc, with limestone and ore brought in from "outside" the layout.

I can scratchbuild just about anything . . . I need plans or basic drawings with rough dimensions on the blast furnace to start with. I am trying to calcualte how much real estate is needed for a facility.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

--Jon
Jon, have you heard about the Steel Discussion Board at http://steelheritage.org ? I bet somebody on their Steel Modeling forum could help you...

Back