N&W SD-35 The Hard Way

River Run

Diesel Detailer
I started this before ATLAS released their new version of the SD-35. For what I have spent, I could have got the new one, but I'm stubborn, and I'm to far into this to quit now. lol This is an old ATLAS/ROCO/CON COR version. So far the hardest part was rebuilding the fuel tank area.

Here are three progress shots.

sd35b.jpg

sd35cut.jpg

35x1.jpg

An Athearn or other SD9 frame will fit but needs to be filed down in thickness. I did that for the SD35 I made years ago to get correct trucks. I filed the fuel tank down and wrapped it with styrene. I used a RailPower cab and nose though, I was poor in college. And after college I am still poor and yet rich in so many ways.

Heck, you have more heart then I do. I scrapped two MRL SD35's after I learned Atlas was re-doing the SD35, and would offer a painted one. I have yet to buy a new one though!

Actually, these run pretty nice. I just can't believe after 30+ years that Con Cor hasn't spent a few bucks to update the fuel tank at least. :confused:

It's a good project nonetheless, because it gets you experience on this sort of thing.

But, then again, you're experience one of the Model Railroader's Laws. And that is, the best way to guarantee that a manufacturer will produce an item is for you to scratchbuild one first.

:D

Kennedy

Actually, these run pretty nice. I just can't believe after 30+ years that Con Cor hasn't spent a few bucks to update the fuel tank at least. :confused:
Yeah, my old Atlas units ran like a dream. Though now I've stripped out the motors from two SD24's, I want to re-power them with a smaller profile motor, either an N scale one, or a NWSL PDT. They're gonna be slugs so the original motors are too big.

Yeah, my old Atlas units ran like a dream. Though now I've stripped out the motors from two SD24's, I want to re-power them with a smaller profile motor, either an N scale one, or a NWSL PDT. They're gonna be slugs so the original motors are too big.

Well just a suggestion: better to make them dummies than waste the $$ on a PDT. They are noisy, poor-running, weak, grinding, lousy pickup pieces of junk. Not suitable for a locomotive or IMO even a streetcar because their pickup is so poor. And after 10 minutes running they simply lock up and refuse to run until something inside cools off (not sure what).

Andy

Thanks Andy. I've talked it over many times with NWSL, and they guaranty that they'll last. Though I'm reviewing the option to use an N scale motor for added reliability, and less cost.

I'm skipping the dummy idea, as I'll need the extra traction to move the long cuts of cars, just as the prototype needs it.

*now time to return to your regularly scheduled topic...*

Randy, I've always thought there's a fine line between kitbashing and scratchbuilding sometimes and I think you got pretty close to that line. :) Nice job though, and I'm sure it will look good when you're done. Just don't put it next to one of the new Atlas units or it will bring tears to your eyes. :D

Randy, I've always thought there's a fine line between kitbashing and scratchbuilding sometimes and I think you got pretty close to that line. :) Nice job though, and I'm sure it will look good when you're done. Just don't put it next to one of the new Atlas units or it will bring tears to your eyes. :D

Mine says ROCO on the trucks, that means it came from Austria and all of the details on it are made here in the US and Canada. The new ATLAS comes from Communist China. It's one more thing I can say I have that didn't come from there, and that's getting harder to say in this day and age. ;)

That old ConCor motor I took out of mine in now in a Genesis SD70MAC. I won't say why it needed a new motor but it was a drop in replacement. Brush holders off the Genesis motor made it better than new.

Here's some detail shots. I'm not as good as Andy, but it's a Roco and I don't do bad for a guy that can only see out of one eye due to diabetes. It's not done, the fan grab is bent a little, and I didn't strip it because N&W didn't do it either. They just painted over the blue. I remember seeing N&W diesels with three paint schemes showing under the worn off paint, even after the NS merger.

35y1.jpg

35y2.jpg

35y3.jpg

35y4.jpg

35y5.jpg

35y6.jpg

35y7.jpg

35y8.jpg

35y9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cannon roof treatment and long hood end make a huge difference. None of those parts were available when I did my last Roco. I also find it ironic that the radiator on the 30-year old Roco was more accurate than the one they put on the first run new ones. In fact I was seriously considering cutting that part out of an old shell until they did the second run.

I'll see if I can't get some photos together. If I can't post them in-line I'll put them on my web site with links. I do want to do another one with the low-cylinder type II Flexicoils, probably using Kato trucks but not sure if they will adapt to the Atlas frame.

Andy

Nice workRandy . I know how hard it is to see with bad eyes or not . I have diabetes also and have floaters all the time so makes it hard to focus close up . So an extra thumbs up there .

Nice workRandy . I know how hard it is to see with bad eyes or not . I have diabetes also and have floaters all the time so makes it hard to focus close up . So an extra thumbs up there .

Thanks Paul, sometimes ya just gotta step back and take another stab at it. My wife says I have the patience of "you know who".

Back