N scale track

need2drag

OK, I am getting back into building a set and I am going with N scale. My question is about mounting track. I have decided to use glue, but I am not sure what kind of glue to use. What is the best, and how much should I use? Thanks for any help.

Don't use glue. Use white latex caulk that you buy for practically nothing in any home improvement store. You can use it to secure both the roadbed and track. You only need a tiny amount for N scale, just a thin line under each rail. If it's sqeezing out between the ties, you're using too much.

Would that still work for the EZ track too? The et my wife bought me came with EZ track so that is what I am going to use.

Yes, it will work fine for E-Z track also. I have HO E-Z track on part of my layout. Just run a fine bead of caulk under both edges of the roadbed plastic, put in in place, and weight it down with bricks, paint cans, or whatever you have handy. It's be dry and solid in about an hour.

I use the Latex caulk too, and I spread it thin with a putty knife so it has just enough to hold but not enough to come up between the ties.

If you do use glue which I have and on my third layout use a glue called Sobo. it is a fabric glue found at Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics. It stays soft and makes removal of track very easy. I reused all of the track form my last layout on my present one and the glue cleaned off of the track very easily. It does get kind of pricey but I dilute it down 50/50 with water and add a tablespoon of dish soap or you can use alcohol. Track nails are used to hold the track while the glue dries and then removed. I use the water and spray alcohol on the on the ballast after the track is set. This has worked on my layout and a good friend who put me onto the Sobo. Some of his track has been down for 15 years.

definitely all good suggestions. I think I will go with the caulk. Cheap, and easy, and will work. I will definitely ask if I have anymore questions. Thanks guys.

Back