N gauge track

What is the smallest circle that can be made with N gauge. I want to figure how small table I can use.
What type of track are you planning on using?

What era, and equipment do you plan on running?

If you really need a tight radius, you could probably go as small as a 9-3/4 radius. There is a lot of smaller N scale equipment that should run on that.

That gives you close to a 20" circle. You will want to add a couple more inches to make sure you have room for a derailment.

well. that is not a lot smaller than the 027. I have been figuring on going 027,as I have a bunch of equipment and track, but thought about changing but now think not, Thanks for the info.

well. that is not a lot smaller than the 027. I have been figuring on going 027,as I have a bunch of equipment and track, but thought about changing but now think not, Thanks for the info.
What size of space do you have to work with?

well, for my 027 I am planning to build 40 inch wide by 15 ft long table for my garage. But I thought if ai could get it a LOT smaller I could move it into the house.

I really want to run 2 loops, on inside another with the inside one having reverse and sidings etc.
Also I would have to sell all my O stuff and start all over
And no I won't go with z gauge, Just WAY to small for mr big hands

If you really need a tight radius, you could probably go as small as a 9-3/4 radius
I used an 8” radius with Kato Unitrack and it worked great with a variety of 4 axle locos including Alco S2s and GP38-2s with 50’ rolling stock. I think that makes a suitable width for benchwork somewhere around 17” or 18”…?

I think Kato also has even tighter curves but I’ve never tried those.

Last edited:
Smallest Kato goes is 150mmR
But that is what is known as their "pocket line" range of short wheelbase trams, wagons and simple diesels and shunters.
The smallest "practical" I believe is either 249mm or 282mm depending on train.
I run some REALLY "fussy" shinkansen trains which are ok at 282 SLOWLY! (although min "passing radius" is 315mm).
A small 249mm "adjustment" is ok with all my trains (as long as totally flat, no gradients involved, and --slow-- like a station or yard).
For example a R249-15 coming out to 2 straights after a #6 switch works fine, but.. I would wager a full curve at 249 of anything more than 15 degrees might have some of my trains eating themselves on the couplings, and any x-6-x steam trains popping out..

Sorry about the MM but I can't be bothered to convert 😂

Last edited:
What is the smallest circle that can be made with N gauge. I want to figure how small table I can use.
In N-scale I've seen preformed track down to 7 3/4", and apparently from the above post down to 6" radius. But...big but... as the others suggest I would not go that small. It limits the equipment you can run, and limits the performance.

I used Atlas 9.75" radius all the time and it worked fine. I had a nice layout on a 2'x4' table, so yes smaller than O-27. One could even go down to 21.5" wide if you don't mind running trains right up to the edge. Two loops would be 11" on outside and 9.75" on the inside.

Last edited:
Without kinking I can get it down to about 3.5" diameter, if you can set the trucks on a 40' car to be perpendicular it goes around and around .... :)

I have experimented with Kato N scale Unitrack down to 4.7 inch radius, designed for tram stuff. There is N scale freight equipment that will actually "work" reliably at that radius, where "work" is defined as pulling (not pushing) 3-4 40' freight cars slowly around a semicircle turnback curve. The key is either traction tires or a lot of weight on the engines, since all wheels will be sliding as they roll. As I recall, the best engines were the Rapido SW-1 with traction tire or (don't laugh) a massive A-B-B-A lashup of Life-Like FA1/FB1 units. I don't recommend this for general operation, obviously, but for, e.g,, a hidden turnback on a shelf layout it's something to consider.

If you increase the radius to 6", many other short 4-axle units can "work" in this limited context, GP-35 size or smaller. At 7.25" radius, almost any 4-axle loco will work, and even some 6-axles without excessive binding. I have noticed that older N scale locomotives were designed with looser fit than some newer ones, and are more forgiving of sharp radii. Likewise floppier couplers help (Microtrains and Kato vs.stiffer Accumates).

Back