Multi-cab wiring

Sargewolf

After 10 years in storage I recently pulled out my N gauge layout and started rewiring it for dual cab. After isolating one rail for each of the blocks (35) and running the wiring to switches for cab A & B, I tried running 2 locos on different blocks in opposite directions. The cabs canceled each other out. :confused:Currently I'm using a common rail, the outside rail, for all blocks. Do I have to isolate both rails for each block and use DPDT switches with both a + and a - wire to each? I realize this is old school but for now my finances do not allow changing to DCC.

Mate yes you do need to isolate "both" rails to achieve what your after and yes DPDT switchs are required.
Have the same problems as you in regards to changing to DCC.

Now I dont know if you can get a copy or not but I have a book called
"HO Primer" written by Linn Westcott (Kalmbach Books)
ISBN: 0-89024-503-7

This has a chapter on how to completly wire a system that your after.
Shows how to production line your DPDT switches and then set up the control panel.
Increadibly easy to do.

I use this and "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" and they are my bibles.

Sorry to disagree, but no, you don't need to isolate both rails. Lots of railroads are wired using "common rail" and in fact there can be more than 2 cabs.

However if you do this, the cabs must be fully electrically isolated from each other, which normally means each one has to have its own transformer off the mains. Running the two of them off a common power supply won't work. If you want to have just one transformer, then you do indeed have to switch both rails.

John P:

Yes mate you are correct and I do agree with you but,
Like I said the system I use ( 1 X Transformer & 2 x Controllers) works for me.
Split the layout into the required blocks, cut both tracks and insulate the track ends, wire into the DPDT switch/s.

Regards

Alan

Back