MTH Proto 3 engine won't work

CSXMATT

I have a MTH Dash-8 Proto 3 engine that all of the sudden stopped working. It was running well, and all of the sudden started to hesitate and shudder. My DCS commander flashed the engine number, "poor signal". The engine shut down, and now won't restart. Do these get out of sync like the older proto engines? What should I do to fix it, and is it fixable? The engine is 6 months old and has had minimal use. The track look relativity clean and no bad spots. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Matt,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have zero experience with MTH. I would try and call MTH and or the vendor you bought it from.

Hopefully one of the experts will come along and give you better help soon.

If you still can't find an answer you could try the OGR forum, there are many MTH DCS operators on that forum. http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/

I wish I could be of more help. I wish you well.

Since it started to hesitate and shudder, and the controller says poor signal, then, it seems to me, that you have a problem with dirty wheels and/or track. I would clean them both, and then try it again.

In HO with DCC, when the locomotives start acting like this, its always dirty wheels, dirty track, or both. Since the locomotives with all the newer electronics and stuff in them are relying on what is actually a very small area of contact through the wheels for communication between the command stations, and the onboard decoder, any dirt can cause the degradation or even total loss of that communication. Dirty track and wheels became more of a problem with this digital control, and it has become extremely important to have clean contact with the rails.

You can clean the track with a "Bright Boy", an abrasive type cleaner, various solvents spread on the rails by track cleaning cars, or even with cloths. Wheels can be cleaned using the same solvents, or by using an electronics cleaner like CRC, sprayed onto the wheels and removed by either cloths, paper towels or pipe cleaners. I would suggest that you do go to the OGR forums as was suggested earlier, and ask over there.

G'day Matt....I don't do O Scale...I'm involved with HO but......I do have an MTH SD70 ACe ...that gave me no end of grief....The DCS /DCC compatibility was the main problem not talking and wouldn't "play nice" for ages until the kind forum members helped me out with tons of good advice...However if it ran good to start with then gave 'poor signal' replies.it could be all sorts of matters...A fellow forum member and really good friend once told me that MTH Customer Service is sometimes not as good as it could be but I'd say the sooner you make contact with their service department the better..Hopefully they will get back to you soon with fixing solutions..Good luck.....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help, turns out I placed the power lock on incorrectly, this caused the engine to shudder.

Thanks for the update CSXMATT you may have just helped another member with a similar problem or a future browser looking for help.

Don't be a stranger, we like to share your hobby with you!

Back