Moving to HOn3

rgengineoiler

After taking down my Large N scale layout of many years and Saving the Bench work I have been moving into HOn3 accumulating Locomotives, rolling stock, designing the layout on my old bench work etc. I have a turntable, "Gallows style", installed now that I have built and just about finished building a Banta Models Sargents roundhouse. Because I am 80 and just can not get under the layout anymore I have decided to wire on top of the layout and attaching my new bus wires
to the existing bus under and bringing up to the surface with well placed 16 gauge bus runners and installing my new wiring from there and hiding it with spray insulation foam after full protection from moisture at the 20 gauge runner connections to the new bus runners. I have been in Model Railroading since 1983
and use Digitrax DCC system.

Also since I live in Colorado the worst thing that happened to me was Caboose Hobbies closing on south Broadway in Denver years ago. How could they!!
Anyway suggestions to my proposed wiring plan? I also am really good at scenery so I hope I can hide the wiring and or polarity reverse Electronics in a good natural way. Are there any other suggestions of thought that I have missed? DR

Last edited:
After taking down my Large N scale layout of many years and Saving the Bench work I have been moving into HOn3 accumulating Locomotives, rolling stock, designing the layout on my old bench work etc. I have a turntable, "Gallows style", installed now that I have built and just about finished building a Banta Models Sargents roundhouse. Because I am 80 and just can not get under the layout anymore I have decided to wire on top of the layout and attaching my new bus wires
to the existing bus under and bringing up to the surface with well placed 16 gauge bus runners and installing my new wiring from there and hiding it with spray insulation foam after full protection from moisture at the 20 gauge runner connections to the new bus runners. I have been in Model Railroading since 1983
and use Digitrax DCC system.

Also since I live in Colorado the worst thing that happened to me was Caboose Hobbies closing on south Broadway in Denver years ago. How could they!!
Anyway suggestions to my proposed wiring plan? I also am really good at scenery so I hope I can hide the wiring and or polarity reverse Electronics in a good natural way. Are there any other suggestions of thought that I have missed? DR
Hi, that sounds like it should be a fun project. I think your wiring idea is a good one, I've run mine on the surface in areas where putting it thru the benchwork wasn't entirely feasible. I carve out a little groove to put it thru so it doesn't create an unwanted hump in the scenery. I don't know how close you live to Colorado Springs, but I lived there until two years ago, and there's a shop there called Roy's Model Trains that might be of interest to you. I just looked it up, and he's still in business. I used to go there all the time, and he usually has a good selection to choose from. I'm pretty sure he had a fair amount of HOn3 when I was last there.

As I understand it, there were several things that happened at the same time. The property the store was on became so valuable they could not afford the property tax. Sales on the internet were eating up sales so revenue was dropping. The owner was getting old and could not keep up with the business, none of his heirs was interested in the store. So the simple answer was to sell the property for big bucks.

I don't know how close you live to Colorado Springs, but I lived there until two years ago, and there's a shop there called Roy's Model Trains that might be of interest to you. I just looked it up, and he's still in business.
I was in Roy's Model Trains store last Thursday. Big going out of business sale. Everything 50% off. Last day is advertised as 8/31, but they have to have it all cleared out of the mall by 09/01, so they said they would probably not really be open and selling stuff after the 28th, but rather packing things up.

I was in Roy's Model Trains store last Thursday. Big going out of business sale. Everything 50% off. Last day is advertised as 8/31, but they have to have it all cleared out of the mall by 09/01, so they said they would probably not really be open and selling stuff after the 28th, but rather packing things up.
I didn't know that, but I moved out of Colorado in June of '22. So, there probably isn't anything left as far as model railroad stores go, because Sidetracked closed in Jan. of '22 when the owner, J.B. Thistlethwaite died. I believe one of his sons and his wife sold all of the inventory rather than take over. These closures for any reason always bug me, because I like brick and mortar stores.

Back