More Hot Wheels & Matchbox vehicles

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
I found some more Hot Wheels and Matchbox vehicles I could use on my layout.
20220401_131901.jpg

Three of the vehicles will be used as is, the police car, hot rod and bright red Chevy pick up.

These truck need modification to stock trucks,
20220401_132541 (1).jpg

The hardest part of the whole project is drilling out the rivets with a hand drill to get the vehicle apart. A drill press would be much easier.
20220401_143830.jpg

The next thing to do is sand off most of the decals and stop up the holes in the hood.
20220402_154755.jpg

I filled in the hood hole with Gorilla wood glue because it dries hard and was handy. You can use ACC, other hard glues, caulk or body putty. Your results may vary. Now, we wait and wait until the glue dries and we see if we need to add more glue. More later.

Last edited:
The glue finally dried, but the panel truck had to add more glue. The two pickups have been sanded down and are ready for choosing a paint color.

Attachments

• 20220403_152425.jpg
    20220403_152425.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 108
I ran into a unthinking rookie mistake with the painting.
I used a rattle can to paint each vehicle a different color in my garage yesterday, but the humidity was about 85% and we have rain today and tomorrow.
The paint "crinkled" and did not completely dry before I handled the pieces.
I let the paint dry inside over night and sanded the paint to smooth out the fingerprints and rough surfaces.
I will repaint when the humidity drops in a couple days.

Will anyone else admit to this type of error?

I couldn't find appropriate era vehicles for my layout, so took a Bedford fire engine and made it look like an American jib pole truck. (The post was on this forum, but so long ago I think it is no longer available.)

MY WIFE HAS A SCREW LOOSE....... in the recent back surgery she had 6 weeks ago. The screw slipped and sometimes presses against a nerve, causing intense pain. Between weather, dealing with the doctor and rescheduling another surgery for next week, I have not done much with the truck modification.
I got the trucks painted, the motors sawed off and the chrome interiors colored. I cut a floor for the pickup boxes to get rid of the hot rod chrome boxes.

20220407_101241.jpg

I had to amputate some figures to be able to add drivers to the interiors.
20220407_143101.jpg

Some assembly required.
Put the windows in, add the chrome interior and the chassis to assemble and add a big dab of glue on the chassis.
20220409_104535.jpg

After assembly, we have to wait for the glue to dry before finishing painting tail lights and door handles. I'll also add license tags.
As you can see, the drivers to not show up too well, so I would not include them again.
20220409_162159.jpg

I often wonder whether or not to include drivers/passengers. Unless the window is open and an arm is waving, they are most often difficult to see. So now I use some really cheapo Chinese manufactured figures that I don't have to fix the poorly applied paint jobs.

I often wonder whether or not to include drivers/passengers. Unless the window is open and an arm is waving, they are most often difficult to see. So now I use some really cheap Chinese manufactured figures that I don't have to fix the poorly applied paint jobs.
Willie- That would solve the problem of having to repaint most of the Asian figures I have.

Back